Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Catching up

7:12 p.m. Today's project was to have a late lunch with my niece Destiny, a CPA with two school age children from San Diego. She is a lovely Christian woman, very successful in the accounting field. Most of my sister's children and grandchildren live near her in San Diego, so we don't get to visit that often.

The odd thing is that I listened to an inspirational  and challenging message from a Mary Kay director about being energized for a good finish to the Seminar year on June 30th. One of the items on her list was to call someone you haven't talked to in a while, because as you catch up with each other's lives, you encourage one another, especially in the Lord, and leave the conversation uplifted. My day was pretty well set today, with helping my new consultant get started, contacting prospective recruits, and booking appointments in between.

But before any of that would happen, I'd needed to train a new caregiver for Steve in our particular morning procedures, even down to making toast, because in his native country of Nigeria, toasters must not be common. And despite being employed here in the US for years, he's always worked afternoon or night shifts! The kinds of assistance he needed  were kind of humorous, but also disruptive to my devotions and scripture reading. I expect that tomorrow things will go smoothly, because he's very sharp and conscientious. I did get a kick out his asking me in his British accent before I left to work my business (while pointing to the backyard), "W hat would you have me do in the compound?"

I want to have God's heart toward those who have need to be taught even in small matters, because I want them to remember this Christian woman as kind, patient and loving.  Titus 3:2 tells us

...to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men.

I wish I could describe myself in that way consistently, but like every believer still breathing, I have much room to grow, just having apologized for an unnecessarily sharp retort on Facebook! Politics and socializing don't mix

While the thought of catching up with old friends or loved ones sounded appealing, it was a text message from Destiny that brought us together. We had so much to share about the Lord, Bible study, and her new church fellowship. I also told her that even with a successful career, Mary Kay can be a part-time "Plan B," until you need it to be more, because even huge businesses are shutting their doors in this wretched recession of the last three years.  And God had another "sweetener" for me: she was out of her sunscreen moisturizer, and of course my inventory was in the Jeep!


Above  are pictured Steve's cousins and sister with her husband; our daughter dropped in for lunch also. The occasion? Three days before Heidi's wedding. The last occasion Steve's family got together in even larger numbers was for his brother Larry's memorial service. Weddings and funerals seem to be the times when families gather, but I remember having Destiny and her three siblings here for as long as two weeks, at least once a year. During those precious times, our nieces and nephews came with our kids to children's church and participated in our family's nightly devotions. Today, as adults in their 30's and late 20's, they have all been born again, and are walking with the Lord as far as I know.

Career, kids, church, school and  Steve's health were all topics that Destiny and I  discussed, but all too son our lunch was finished. Even though Proverbs 27:10 says, "Better is a neighbor who is near than a brother who is far off," the Lord showed me the importance of staying knit together with my family. With that I include in-laws, because we'll be honoring my Heather's sister-in-law for her college graduation tomorrow. And it's about time to have our out-of-town grandsons over for a vacation visit!

Many, many believers have found new families in the Body of Christ, in cases where they truly were unloved and abandoned, alone in the world, perhaps because of their own misdeeds,  before Christ's people took them in. And their tireless service to the Body is the backbone of the local church.

A number of years ago, I made a list, with phone numbers, of sisters in the Lord that I'd lost track of, faithful members of my Thursday Bible study of 30 years ago. Some were now living out of state, and others' phone numbers had changed. But we did connect, and at least we continue to exchange Christmas cards. Yet we do live in each others' hearts,

...because the love of  God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:5). 

No more excuses, or online substitutions--pick up the phone today!



No comments:

Post a Comment