Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

VBS 2012: Trust God!

1:00 p.m. Today's project was to attend the meeting for Vacation Bible School crew leaders. The Group USA theme for the year is "Sky," and the theme verse is Jesus' statement  in Mark 10:27,

With God, all things are possible.

When I volunteered to be a crew leader, I told Ivett, the Calvary Chapel children's ministry leader, "Any ages but Pre-K" would be fine, and to run away fast before I came to my senses!

Honestly, I love VBS, ever since I was a new believer and was a helper to an experienced leader. That's the year before Steve and I got married 31 years ago at Harvest. Our oldest son Sean from my first marriage would get to stay and play longer with the other leaders' kids while we VBS teachers got ready for the next day. His sons, now high schoolers, would come to stay with us each summer in order to attend VBS, and were crew assistants the last year they attended. Looks like Vacation Bible School is in our blood!

As the decades of child rearing went by, my participation would depend on the age of my youngest child each year. Although my calling is to teach women's Bible studies, I just love elementary age kids, as my years in Christian and public school classrooms can attest. And having been retired the last 3 years, it's fun to get reconnected with the little ones of whom Jesus said Mark 10:14, 

Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them, for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, that whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it. 

When we work with children, our own or the little ones God sends our way to reach for Him, we are very blessed to enjoy their innocence and wonder at Jesus who died for them, and God the Father in heaven who sent His only Son to take us to be with Him forever one day! The Gospel is so simple that a child can understand it, isn't it? As a crew leader, I have had many awesome opportunities to lead children to faith in Christ, to ask Jesus into their hearts. There's no greater  privilege!

At the meeting, Steve sat at a separate classroom desk near mine, and paid good attention, because the leaders were keeping things lively, and Regina,  who does drama classes for our Christian school, and is in charge of the magnificent backdrops and stage props, put on a bomber jacket, scarf, and aviator cap. At the end of the meeting, I was able to pray over my assistant crew leader, our crew and the ministry, and  Steve bowed his head and joined hands too. Bless his heart, he thinks he will be helping in VBS too, because as we got off the elevator to walk back to the sanctuary, he said, "It's good to help the little kids," pretty clearly!  I will make sure he joins me in praying for them each day! James 5:16,

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 

In the next two weeks, I'll put my "aviator" outfit together, perhaps seeing what my dad, an Air Force veteran, has at his house; will be praying for my assistant crew leader Terry, a lady around my age who's new to VBS, and for all of the details the leaders must coordinate.

And I'm looking forward to 5 nights of godly, exciting fun with all Jesus' favorite people: children!



 


1 comment: