Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

God uses weakness

5:06 p.m. Today's project was to welcome a  brand new caregiver, and I honestly have to admit that my patience started out pretty thin.

Apparently, the agency hadn't given him the memo that ringing the doorbell at a client's house at 5 a.m.is not cool! Jada certainly enjoyed the moment from her crate in the garage, by the way she set up her ferocious yelling. Great, I thought, throwing on my robe and running downstairs, praying against hope that Steve wouldn't wake up. Of course he did wake up, so I very speedily and succinctly talked the care giver upstairs to see if he could get Steve to return to bed. This was a day that I should have been praying for no later than 12 a.m... Sometimes I wonder if I should go to bed at all, with the early wakeups going on in (and  out) of our house! After all, didn't Jesus tell the disciples during His agony in the Garden of Gethsemane in Matthew 26:41,

Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. For the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. 

My groggy flesh was certainly weak. I did have just enough strength to contain my incredulity when the terrified, but 6 1/2 foot tall, caregiver asked me, "Can the dog get in?" He didn't even move forward to go upstairs to get my husband taken care of!! Controlling myself by the grace of God, I said in even tones, "The dog is locked in a crate in the garage.Why don't we go upstairs and see what Steve needs?"

 I grabed a quick minute, went downstairs, got my coffee fixed, and mixed Steve's applesauce with meds and supplements in a bowl, and his toast slices and cereal arranged for later.

Because this gentleman had no idea what to do, I kept runing upstairs, pointing out the body wash, and telling him that Steve needs total csre. The last time I started up the stairs, I met with the caregeiver and Steve halfway, only to find him being led down partialy dressed, with the caregiver sying, "He didn't want to put his jeans on." When did finishing getting dressed become an optional acitivity in the morning?

It seems that like a small child does, Steve figured out that his helper didn't know what he was doing, so he became resistant! I used my stern voice, and in no time, the two men came back downstiars, with Steve ready for breakfast at last!

Once Steve got on the bus (quite happily with two adults taking care of him) I returned to my chopped-up devotion time, and gave the caregiver a chance to make friends with Jada, who just loves people and only wants to get everyone involved in a game of fetch.  Cara and I had a speedy prayer time since we're in that end of the Mary Kay Seminar year crunch, and actually doing the same tasks by the grace and for the glory of God. Yet we both were called upon to present the product line at our makeover meeting, when critical tasks awaited. That was a "God-thing!"

Our Lord is so good! When you think you just cannot fathom, much less perform, another task, you get an assignment! Jesus knows it's good for us to get our minds off of our "6 Most Important Things" list and just serve--other people, or a greater cause. 
                                 
                       I have to let go to let God give me freely what I had planned to strive for!

I'm learning to go with the VBS theme: "TRUST GOD."

Now to get a decent night's rest before Bible study in the morning (and welcome the return of our regular caregiver)!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment