Friday, June 15, 2012

Good morning?

9:14 p.m. Today's project was to say awake and alert for my busy day in Redlands for the third day in a row. I don't mind, because I love my hometown, so beautiful!

I knew there wouldn't be a caregiver for the 5 a.m. shift for Steve, so I went to bed as soon as possible after my return from our Mary Kay meeting. I did the usual cleaning up around the house, and got everything set for the next morning. My cellphone alarm was set for 6 a.m. as usual, and with a backache making a persuasive argument, I read my evening devotional, took a muscle relaxer and nodded off. And God was faithful to His word in Psalm 127:2b, "...He gives His beloved sleep."

A knocking noise woke me up at about 4:20 a.m. I checked my phone and it was too early for a caregiver, even if the assignment had been filled. On investigation, I found Steve crawling on the floor at the door to our master bathroom! It had to have been him knocking. So I encouraged him to get up, asked if he needed to use the toilet, which he didn't. (That's okay becuse he sleeps with an adult protective garment on). With uncharacteristic strength from the Lord and a tiny bit of help from Steve, I pulled him up to his feet, with him sorrowfully saying something about "I don't know."

Then I physically put him in bed, covered him up, and he agreed to stay there. He may have gone back to sleep until 6:30 when I came to give him his meds in applesauce, but I doubt that I got any sleep. But I did have 30 minutes to get breakfast organized and start my devotions, so I was grateful for that much!  Even a chopped-up time of prayer and Bible reading because of caring  for a disabled loved one (or small children) is better than passing up time with God because of the stress you're under. God knows our hearts, and whether we desire to be with Him. As we seek Him daily, He sees to the results! Psalm 103:14 says,

For he knows our frame;
He remembers that we are dust.

This "frame" of mine was certainly dusty, but I received strength for the day from my prayer partner's Spirit-and faith-filled prayers, and hope mine did the same for her! I had much business to take care of before leaving at noon for Redlands to take my father to the doctor. I first got three of Steve's prescriptions and returned to the house with them, then made a product delivery and enjoyed a much-needed hair appointment. Traffic was flowing and the cool air was refreshing. All went smoothly, including lunch with my daughter Heidi, in which we discussed her teaching Ephesians for six weeks, and the powerful time we ladies enjoyed yesterday at my II Samuel study.

And I'll admit to drinking coffee at each destination--direly needed for safe driving and coherent conversation!

After dropping my dad back at his house, I lingered a bit to make phone calls and enjoy some specialty treats at the Olive Ave. Market before driving back home, with about 1/4th of an ice blended coffee drink, "one for the road!" Then I shopped at both Vons and Ralphs for our Father's Day meal, getting the best bargains at both stores.

At home, Steve was enjoying a nice, restful afternoon with a helper, and we sat together before his bedtime. So far, he's only gotten out of  bed once. I helped him back in and applied a carnosine patch that has helped him sleep better some nights.

May God give His beloved child Steve a restful night's sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment