Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Every beat of your heart--a public service



5:27 p.m. Today's project was to distribute the American Heart Association letters that I had addressed and enclosed with a stamped envelope addressed to me. I will then be responsible to send in the checks altogether.



Seemed odd last fall when a lady from the organization asked if I'd participate in the "Dear Neighbor" letter writing campaign. The packet would arrive in January, and they'd like me to get the letters to my neighbors before the first of February. I agreed, thinking, "Well, February's a long way off!" Of all of the contributors they must have in our area, how did I get selected for the task?

Maybe there's a nationwide roster of recently retired teachers, suddenly with time on our hands, not shy about talking to people, and used to instructing others and persuading them to do the right thing. That just occured to me--we are perfect for the task!! Teachers are also used to filling out paperwork, so getting my letters signed, stuffed and stamped was pretty easy.

Steve and I drove to the bottom of our street, figuring we could work our way up. We ended up zigzagging between the giant fancy houses across from our original 1998 vintage neighborhood and back over to our side. Most people weren't home in the late afternoon, but I was blessed to meet the captain of the Riverside Fire Department's Paramedic Unit. [So that's what the ambulance is always doing in his driveway!] and his wife is a registered nurse. "Now we know where to come in an emergency!" I chuckled.

I believe that there is a place in a Christian's life for helping out secular or civic causes, if time with the Lord, family and faithfulness to other duties permits. Ephesians 2:8 says that "We are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." And walk we did!

I want to share with you the warning signs of stroke, courtesy of American Heart Association:

  • Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
  • Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
  • Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
  • Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
  • Sudden, severe headache with no known cause

CALL 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS!

In Matthew 5:16, Jesus said: "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify Your Father in heaven." Jesus went about doing good, and so should we!

No comments:

Post a Comment