Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fun in the rain

1:51 p.m. Today's project was to join some hilarious retired and homemaker girlfriends for a game of "Apples to Apples" and a full-on lasagna luncheon with all the trimmings and homemade desserts. And these ladies can cook!

It is really pouring today, as predicted, so we just need to be careful, and not run any unnecessary errands, like buying pea and spinach seeds and broccoli seedlings at Home Depot on the way back from MoVal to Riverside...I was rewarded for my fanaticism by getting poured down on in the parking lot going in and coming out! Good thing I had on my lightweight, waterproof, hooded jacket. This trusty black jacket served me well in London a few summers ago, where a group of us on a missions trip that included Heidi, walked for miles and a good hour in a downpour that made this rain look like sprinkles. Others around the country might chuckle at us too, as my son Kriss joked on Facebook today, "Welcome to Seattle!"

Jesus said in Matthew 5:45, that our Father "sends rain on the just and the unjust." The heavens are truly opened up today; I pray I fall into the correct category!

Just awoke from my little nap to let in the rat inspector, who just gave our crawl space a clean bill of health. I am awaiting Heidi's safe return home from an undoubtedly rough day of teaching kids who needed to go out and play. I must say that of all the enemies of weekday rain, elementary teachers would have to top the list. That is one aspect of teaching I don't miss, as I harken back to El Nino several years ago, when my repertoire of indoor classroom games was running pretty low and my patience even lower! Say a prayer for teachers and kids this week, as well as moms of preschoolers--cabin fever is predicted along with the rain!

Our garden is definitely looking lush and bright green, the dogs got their walk during a morning break in the precipitation, and the broccoli seedlings are sitting on the walkway behind the garage, under the eaves. They will have a little protection before getting transplanted to the garden when things dry out.

Imagine our thoughts about rain if we didn't drive cars to work or take our kids to school, activities that call for masses of people to travel long distances. Imagine waiting on rainfall throughout the growing season, rather than enjoying the luxury of consistent irrigation in this semiarid region. We would all be clapping and cheering at this storm's arrival!

Let's revisit Jesus' quote in its entirety, that puts rain in the "plus" column, as a gift from God:

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust."

Let it rain--but be safe out there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment