Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Rewards of obedience


4:20 p.m. Today's project was to get out and about town with Steve and our grandsons, with requisite obedience on the boys' part for each step of the way. Ephesians 6:1 says, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." I think we'd all put grandparents in that category, too!
The first stop was Berean Christian store, off Tyler, where I picked up commentaries on the book of Hebrews, the subject of the new Bible study the Lord has directed me to write. Hoping to have several lessons completed by June, I began studying in earnest this summer. Currently, I'm studying J.Vernon McGee's radio broadcast study guide, which has Hebrews in two volumes. I've completed Matthew Henry, John Courson, and notes in NKJV, NLT, and NIV Bibles. Barnes' Notes I'll save for the weekly study preparation.
Today I was excited to find John MacArthur's New Testament Commentary, Warren Wiersbe's paperback New Testament Bible commentary, and John Phillips' Exploring Hebrews. Of course, the danger is that I'll busy myself with great reading and put off writing!
Can a person over-study? In Acts 26:24, Festus, the local Roman governor shouted to the apostle after hearing his testimony, "Paul, you are beside yourself! Much learning is driving you mad!" and Ecclesiastes 12:12 says, "Of making many books there is no end, and much study is wearisome to the flesh." ( ! ) Personally, I would happily spend many hours a day studying, squeezing in just enough "real life" activities to be a good witness as a Christian wife and mother!
Typing will begin, prayerfully, in the next month or so. Frankly, I love nothing better than when the Holy Spirit takes all of the thoughts "rumpling around" in my head and on the day He has selected, says, "Start writing!" Whether it's an article for our church's Titus 2 Tribune newsletter, a Bible study to teach, lessons on a book of the Bible, or this blog, when it's God's time, it's the right time, if the writing is His plan to begin with!
A special gift we found at Berean for Adrian and Xavier were small, leather-bound gift Bibles in the New Living Translation. At first I was a bit leery, because I only use the NLT for occasional quotes, not for teaching. But once I read that this translation is highly recommended by Billy Graham, probably for its readability in modern English, I went ahead with the purchase. I'll have the boys' names engraved later and give them for Valentine's Day.
From Berean, we went over to the Galleria at Tyler, where we found "skinny jeans" for Xavier, perfect fit, buy-one-get-one-free! Adrian got a green shirt and matching green headphones, all at Pac Sun. Lunch at Ruby's Diner topped off our time and provided the next meal for us, the portions were so huge. Amazing that from the moment the boys got up this morning, the promise of a fun day caused a right turn in behavior! Aren't you glad children are such quick learners?
We needed a shot of silliness, so we put our things away at home and went to the Mission Grove Theater to see "Alvin & the Chipmunks 2, the Squeakquel." It was the kind of clean fun I prefer for our guys, and they enjoyed it thoroughly.
Right now, Heidi has Adrian and Xavier with her running errands; they will be going out to dinner with her and Pavel later. Steve and I will enjoy some much-needed alone time, and leftovers from New Year's Day dinner. Their other grandpa will pick the boys up tomorrow.
Ahh, the rewards of obedience--for both adults and children!

No comments:

Post a Comment