Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

How did we find him?

1:54 p.m. Today's project was to meet with Robin, head of women's ministry at our church, and connect with one another around ways to best serve the needs we encounter. Our talk coalesced around the formation of a helps ministry. This would be different than the ministry already overseen by our pastors that meets food, shelter and safety needs while evangelizing and/or exhorting the needy in biblical principles. (Although we would certainly defer to and coordinate with the pastoral staff).

We are praying about me being available on call, and forming a team of godly, reliable women who would visit, encourage, assist and uplift hurting women who have no other support, are isolated, perhaps ill, but need someone to show them the love of Christ and a sister's heart of compassion and friendship. I would be honored to help provide that caring touch that Jesus Himself so exemplified. "As He is, so are we in this world," I John 4:17 says. We can love others because we are in Him, having boldness, not fear, as believers.

I am keeping this new opportunity to serve in prayer, and an exciting prayer it is at my stage in life where I have the time, and Steve, although benefitting from our companionship, does not require supervision. God's timing is always correct; His "gifts and calling are without repentance." (Romans 11:29) How grateful I am that God has chosen me to be saved and sanctified by the blood of the Lamb, and that He would consider me fit to serve Him in any way at all!

Steve is in a very good place, relatively speaking, with his Alzheimer's, able to be independent with some added structure, reminders, and detailed directions from me, functioning almost like a regular retiree. We were actually skipping crazily yesterday down a walkway at California Adventure, so his physical coordination is fairly good, also attested by his two mile walk with the dogs each day.

Not so with Larry, Steve's older brother who, at age 57, has lost his ability to speak in sentences and requires assistance in the home for his basic needs. When we visited yesterday, we met Antoine, the home healthcare assistant who is present three days a week, to relieve Sharon, the oldest sibling, and Mike, our brother-in-law. We wondered if he'd know us, but his eyes did light up, even though he never spoke our names. I showed Larry our Christmas photos, but he soon lost interest, probably because I had to turn the pages for him and was describing people and places he no longer recognized. Cousins Charlene and Stephanie were there, adding to Larry's enjoyable time.

I would be kidding myself if I thought that Larry is always as cheerful and alert as he was at seeing his beloved little brother Steve and being in the midst of talkative, exuberant family members. There wouldn't be a need for professional care if that were the case. He has undoubted acquired compensatory skills to mask confusion and to appear involved in conversation. I know that Steve definitely works hard to be a part of household and church activities, asking questions and trying to focus on others' words and actions. In social settings, Steve will generally emulate the actions and mood, or "vibe" of others present, to the point that strangers wouldn't realize he has a problem. I give him so much credit--what a struggle it must be!

One very blessed thing I have noticed about Steve from the earliest days of our courtship, is that he never forgets the lyrics to a praise song! Now, I love to sing, but even with years of choir training, and serving on worship teams, I'll have lyrics slip my mind while I'm worshiping. But not Steve! Thirty years after we met, he is still confidently praising His Lord! Steve must have thousands of songs at his disposal--every word at the ready. As for new songs? He picks them up quickly and memorizes them within a few hearings. And he sings in tune! Many were the times we sang to our kids and taught them the hymns of the churches we grew up in, along with the praise songs that Calvary Chapels use.

Alzheimers is said to shorten life expectancy, and maybe it will affect Steve in that way. But heaven will welcome this well-equipped choir member with open arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment