Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Happy to help



9:36 a.m. Today's project was to hop out of bed early (6:30) so I could follow Heidi to the Mazda dealer across town. She has taken the day off to get her car serviced. $76! That's why I buy American: Moss Motors only charges me $19.95--$21.95 for an oil change, tuneup, wiper blade change, and wash for the Jeep! Granted, that's with coupons for "valued customers," but $76 is Mazda's "special" price, too! Oh well, adults can make their own decisions as long as they pay for them. I just welcome the opportunities that have arisen for helping both of my daughters, along with expanded opportunities for women's ministry and writing! I will be also be assisting Heidi in a more important way--praying for her as she writes her devotional for Saturday morning at the Young Adults' retreat.

We had pretty smooth traffic going west on the 91, a surprise to me at 8 a.m. Traffic coming east was slow, though. Pavel, Heidi's boyfriend, was commenting last night that on his way to work from La Sierra to San Bernardino, he does hit traffic, and I remembered my much shorter drive from home in the 7:00-7:30 hour to the radiation facility at Waterman and Highland six years ago as busy, but not bumper-to-bumper. If busy traffic means jobs, then I'm all for it! The Lord knows our Inland Empire has been among the hardest hit by this deep recession, with so many jobs having been dependent on the construction industry. We would all do well to thank the Lord for income, and pray for, help, and encourage those who are in the process of losing everything! We might even be led to "take a portion" of food, clothing, or offer babysitting time to jobseekers, much as the Jews did in this week's lesson on Esther 9:19.

I am definitely grateful for the ability to be at home with Steve, which I believe is totally by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and made possible by God's provision of several sources of income. I see a lessening of depression over his Alzheimer's, and a willingness to take the initiative with tasks at home, beyond the written suggestions I provide each day. Even though he has always been one to love fellowship, Steve had shied away from Tuesday night's Men's Study because of embarassment at falling asleep. He has now rejoined, so we have wonderful Tuesday nights together, with me at Piecemakers down the hall from the men's study.

Steve is most excited about our Disneyland passes, and is planning for us to go later today--inclement weather not withstanding! I think we'll leave about 2:00 and see how the weather is in the O.C. at that time.

We do have a more serious errand down there, which is to visit Larry, Steve's older brother, now, at 57, in the full debilitaing throes of Alzheimer's. Larry now resembles a very frail elderly man, and needs constant care. Steve's oldest sister Sharon will be there, for her "shift" that begins at 3:30 while Larry's wife Michaele works. Will Larry recognize us? We don't get together that often, because the raucous August party we throw here annually would just be too much for him (I could have given the littlekids' banging on my piano a miss myself!) and Steve got sick the day of his family's post-Christmas get-together.

Other siblings take turns with Larry, as they all live in Orange. Sometimes I wonder if we should assist, but I'm not sure whaat effect this would have on Steve, and I'll observe and measure that today. My stated determination is to keep Steve upbeat and optimistic in the Lord, looking forward to the adventures of each day we have together. I also am seeing subtle improvements in his communication and memory, thanks to some supplements a dear sister from my Bible study heard about a short while ago, and a few cholesterol/heart medications Steve's doctor has put him on, in a kind of experiment. Now that I'm seeing some results, I'll take the list down to Michaele--no sense recommending extremely expensive health food store supplements if there's nothing but hype and disappointment to be gained.

Perhaps, as King David prayed for his sick baby son in II Samuel "Who can tell whether the Lord will be gracious to me, that the child may live? " Perhaps the Lord will intervene miraculously for Steve!

Otherwise, we will both face the inevitable, with courage only possible for believers in Christ--true courage, not worldly bravado, courage born of knowing a gracious God who always acts in his children's best interests with eternal purposes in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment