Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Reach out to draw in

2:21 p.m. Today's project was to hand out flyers and Hershey kissies to young moms at our church before and after all three services, inviting them to our Moms' Morning event next Saturday January 23rd.

Steve and I had a great morning with our devotions and a good breakfast featuring my "Pre-prepared" scrambled eggs with sausage, spinach, Herdez salsa and Velveeta cheese all mixed in, still nice and creamy even when reheated in the microwave. Two avocade slices filled out my plate, while Steve had toast and a banana.

As usual, many things happen on the same day. Steve was sleeping on the couch in the family room, having arrived in the early morning hours from Fresno. He would be meeting with his diet coach this afternoon to start the slim-down phase of his eating plan for a bodybuilding competition in April.I never would have thought people were in the professional business of diet design (except for celebrities) in the bodybuilding world, but I suppose that being a champion, or continuing to be a champion in Steven's case, calls for meticulous attention to detail. Perfecting the human body is both art and science!

As a believer, Steven has the same obligations in regard to his bodybuilding that he has to his university work, his paid employment, and his ministry to high schoolers at The People's Church: diligence and excellence in every detail. We are to do our work "as unto the Lord, not as unto man," (Ephesians 6:7). But I for one am glad that it's not my own strength that raises the standard of my work, but that "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13) And Christ is the One Who gives us the heart and mind to serve Him and our fellow human beings in the first place!

As we walk with Him, listening to and reading His Word, the Holy Spirit encourages each one of us on the right path--for us, not for any other believing adult. God may call me to counsel and guide a sister who is going astray, but not if my heart or motive is wrong. (Or if I have not taken the time to know my scriptures!) I have pretty much all I can handle living my own life connected to Jesus and trying to listen to His voice amid the daily din!

I had the honor of meeting and talking with many young mothers today, as did my co-laborers Joanna and Charise, because God has found us faithful to design an event of spiritual worth and significance to their daily lives. Being a mother of small children is no easy task, but the love, patience, and just plain time put in yields a harvest of righteousness in the next generation. My daughter Heidi taught a devotional at this weekend's Young Adult Retreat. Steven is a leader in high school ministry; Heather leads in high school ministry at her church also. Both Kriss and Sean were leaders in their public high school's Christian club. Are they, or their dad and I, perfect? Of course not. But we "know whom we have believed, and are persuaded that He is able to keep what we have committed to Him..." ( II Timothy 1:12)Their father and I have believed in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ--and committed our very lives and the lives of our precious children to Him, for He is faithful!

May the young moms who join us on Saturday have hearts that burn to bring their little ones to Christ! Then the ministry of Moms' Mornings will have fulfilled its purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment