Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

From ACTS & FACTS

3:34 p.m. Today's project was to work in the garden, planting and picking greens for the dinner I'll be delivering to a family with a new baby. During my morning devotions, I picked up a copy of the April issue of Acts & Facts, the magazine we receive from the Institute for Creation Research. I flipped to an article called "Defending the Faith," by Henry M. Morris, Ph.D. In the first paragraph, Dr. Morris quotes Jude 3, which tells believers to"earnestly contend for the faith that was once delivered to the saints." He quotes last century's "prince of preachers" Charles Spurgeon's exhortation to defend the faith as our forebears did. I was challenged by the opening question:
We must defend the Faith, for what would have become of us if our fathers had not maintained it?


The most stirring quote for me, as I find myself in a Spirit-led season of active witnessing, is the following from Martin Luther:


If I profess with the loudest voice and clearest expression every portion of the truth of God except precisely that little point which the world and the devil are at the moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Christ. Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved, and to be steady on all the battlefield besides, is mere flight and disgrace, if he flinches at that point.


Dr. Morris continues on to demonstrate that "evangelicals" (his quotes) are compromising with evolutionists instead of standing firm for the Genesis record of Creation.


But another hotly contested issue came to my mind immediately-- our scriptural view of marriage. In 2011, American Christians are often put on the defensive for standing up for Genesis 2:24:


Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.


Despite overwhelming national rejection of homosexual marriage, political pressure is put upon believers to make allowances for long-time companions; "the right to marry," (which does not exist--marriage is a moral, legal and societal bond which has always had civil requirements); and "discrimmination." Is requiring young people to attain 18 years of age in most states in order to marry qualify as "discrimmination" also? Civil laws are for the good of society, and for the protection of the children of the marital union. And neither the U.S. Constitution nor the Bill of rights mentions homosexuality!


Will we stand for God's Word in a rational and loving manner in any and all circumstances and conversations, or will we wilt under peer pressure like 12-year-olds?


Will we who profess Christ (say that we follow Him) confess Christ (agree with what He says about His design for all human beings)?


Lord, my prayer is to boldly profess and confess You as my Lord and Savior, and Your word as my rule of life!




No comments:

Post a Comment