Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grey, grey, gone away!


4:46 p.m. Today's project was seek the Lord in getting over the disappointments of the morning--lapsed life insurance policies and pest trouble in the garden-- and get to work. We need to receive our Wyoming rent check sooner in the month, sidestepping the mail. Our rent check is the only income we have between the 1st and the 27 of each month when Steve's Social Security check comes, and the first of the month pension income is taken up by mortgage payments. Makes for quite a strain!


I've been following my own counsel that I taught the ladies in our "Daily Diligence" class on home economy last night: skip grocery shopping and make meals from the freezer and pantry!

Last week, I found out that our property management company can deposit checks for landlords if they have a bank in Cheyenne. None of the banks we use have a branch there, but Wells Fargo does. So, after a very positive phone conversation with a young man at our local branch, we set out for the bank. Juan came out to greet us shortly after we were seated at the front desk.


Steve couldn't remember his social security number, but I supplied that with a brief comment, "He has mild Alzheimer's." Apparently that made no difference, because the manager wasn't called over...Steve was able to put in a PIN for his ATM/debit card, and sign his name, albeit strangely, and we were soon on our way home. I called Brenda in Cheyenne, gave her the bank account information, and praise the Lord, she'll be making a deposit between the 8th and 10th of this month. We have had to wait as long as the 18th by mail, even though rent is collected on the 1st. So this is a major improvement!


The Apostle Paul made a statement in Philippians 4:11-12 to those believers who had been supporting him, concerning the ups and downs of a Christian's life in this world. I reflect on these verses regularly, so I might be able to make the same bold statement, no matter what my health, finance, or personal condition is:


Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:


I know how to be abased and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.


I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.


As I reflect on the times when we had all five kids at home on one income, then recall that when they grew up, I finished my teaching credential requirements and resumed my career, I see both extremes of income. I can look back on wonderful vacations and celebrations, as well as times when I had to make dog food from scratch--in the Lord, it's the same! Jesus has never abandoned me; furthermore, He showed me how to create, manage and keep a joyful household atmosphere despite downturns in our family's economy. The Holy Spirit gave me minute-by-minute instruction in leading the children to the Lord, showing them ways of blessing others in the neighborhood, and befriending those whom others looked down on. As adults today, they don't remember much about what they didn't have, but definitely look back on great times in the Lord! And their upbeat, giving ways remain in each of them to this day.


Jesus remarked about those who were fasting that I can relate to when we go without, in Matthew 6:16-18:


Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.


So He has, and so He does!














No comments:

Post a Comment