Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

I choose to believe!


4:21 p.m. Today's project was to take Steve to his "Healthy Start" initial exam at the Medicare HMO we've selected, CareMore.



Their attractive new facility is at the end of Market Street, near the 60 freeway offramp, across from Fairmount Park, most famously known for the lake where my dad took me boating as a toddler! Since that was in 1952, it's an historic event!



The morning began very positively, with sample Glucerna nutrition bars available on the counter. was called back quickly, after the sign-in paperwork was done with both of our signatures. He struggled to sign his name, not knowing where the line was, and ended up scribbling below instead of on top of it. But we cheerfully went on to weighing and measuring his height. When the aide said he was only 6' tall, I was shocked. He has now shrunk 2 1/2 inches at merely age 55! My dad has lost several inches due to natural spine shrinkage, but he's almost 84. When I measured my height during Steve's blood draw, I've just lost one inch despite being 4 years older. Hmm.



Does Alzheimer's cause accelerated physical aging too? I will be researching that, you can be sure! Proverbs 25:2 says, "the glory of kings is to search out a matter," so I think I'll follow the royal example and do some research as a child of the King!


As the exam went on, the aide asked Steve if he smoked or drank (no) or drinks coffee. He drinks one cup each morning, because it has been found that coffee can increase dementia patients' alertness. Steve then launched into a stammering, halting story about an episode of caffeine headaches from his teenage years. But he had no idea that we'd been at Home Fellowship last night, or forgot that his little toe is bothering him when the doctor asked him if he had any current injuries. I have heard of very elderly people telling all kinds of stories from early childhood, but not know what they had for lunch. It's fairly common. But when I think of Steve's relatively young age, it's devastating, or it would be, if I did not know the Lord!


The reason Jada and Bailey are pictured above is that we came close to losing them this afternoon. Steve came back from walking them, unleashed them, and, I assumed, put them in the backyard for their drink of water. He put the leashes, his gloves and hat into the garage and then we went back out to the driveway to put some Mary Kay supplies in the Jeep for an evening appointment.


A woman roars up the driveway in a silver Mercedes yelling, "they ran down the street!" which could only mean the dogs. While Steve got the leashes, I checked the gate. It appeared to be closed, so I checked the backyard, and found they'd drunk their water before they got out. We drove around their usual walking route, no luck. We prayed. When we got back to the house, there was Jada at the front door. I figured she was waiting to take Steve to Bailey, so I told him to leash her and see where she headed.


Meanwhile, I posted a prayer request on Facebook. Withim about 20 minutes, Steve came back with both dogs. Thank You, Lord--You know how much our dogs mean to us, and what faithful companions they are, for Steve especially. Of course, I need to follow up on their walks and make sure the gate is secure. But there is no point in despairing, because the Lord is with me! Hear Psalm 94:17-19:


Unless the LORD had been my help,

My soul would soon have settled in silence.

If I say, "My foot slips,"

Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up.

In the multitude of my anxieties within me,

Your comforts delight my soul.


Having anxiety is not condemned, but remaining in it, instead of praying to the Lord, believing what He says in His Word, and listening to His Holy Spirit's counsel, is a sure way to remain in despair, inaction, even paralysis!


I choose to believe!






Hear Psalm 94:17-19:






No comments:

Post a Comment