Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Up in prayer


4:14 p.m. Today's project was to take copies of my book, Galatians: An Exploration of Faith and Freedom, to a couple of old friends to get their opinion. Those visits did indeed take place, including a very warm and enjoyable chat with Diane Garbutt, whose kids and mine spent every Friday night together in the kids' Bible study at her home, while we adults sat under Jeff Lasseigne's teaching, before he became a pastor at Harvest. Sweet fellowship!


The schedule for mid-morning was calendared over a week ago, but God's more urgent plan came to life through the late night and early morning hours. I was to intercede with total focus on my youngest son Steven's injured back. He is in so much pain that he dropped out of a weightlifting competition for Saturday--can't sit for the 5 hour drive down from Fresno. His back goes out from time to time from an old football weight room injury in high school, causing constant, but manageable pain. It doesn't slow him down or take away his joy in the Lord, his excitement for the high school youth ministry at The People's Church, his intercessory prayer ministry at his college, Fresno Pacific University, or his street witnessing. he simply trusts the Lord and believes Him for everything!


We used to sing the praise song "The joy of the LORD is my strength"with our kids at family devotions, an affirmation that bodybuilder and gym co-owner/trainer Steven exemplifies. The number of injuries he's suffered (due to his very physical nature) mom can no longer count! But praise be to God, he has always bounced back.


This is the worst I can remember. When he texts me repeatedly to pray, I know the pain must be excruciating. So God woke me up in the wee hours to intercede, weeping at times, praising and repeating worship songs in my head, other times speaking in my spirit through God's Spirit.

The Holy Spirit's intercession was just as Romans 8:26-27 promised:


The Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.


There's no telling how long this went on, but I was sleepy when I "officially" woke up to start my morning devotions! God's creation of the coffee bean was much appreciated this morning. Amazingly, I've been going strong all day. As a believer, I know where my strength comes from, Psalm 18:1-3a:


I will love You, O LORD, my strength.

The LORD is my rock and my fortress,

and my deliverer;

My God, my strength, in whom

I will trust;

My shield and the horn of my

salvation, my stronghold.

I will call upon the LORD, who is

worthy to be praised;

So shall I be saved from my enemies.


As I sent these verses to Steven, so I pray them for myself, the rest of my family, and believers everywhere. The enemy's attacks are strong and unrelenting, both spiritually and physically. But we are not defenseless, because the Lord Jesus Himself intercedes for us to the Father, and goes before us into every battle we will ever face.


Hallelujah!



No comments:

Post a Comment