3:56 p.m. Today's project was to type names of Heidi's "girlfriend" bridal shower guests on cells in a labeling program. For some of you who love Excel, this would be a snoozefest! But when I heard her request, I actually panicked. I HATE Excel, because we had to learn it in a "Computers for Teachers" credential class, and it was so much harder than the other programs. I did manage to make my spreadsheet for the final exam, but vowed "never again!"
Despite my avoidance of those maddening "cells," I went on to quite a successful teaching career. Honestly, I could calculate grades and design all manner of student records with Word or even with those anachronisms "pen and paper," faster than setting up a computer spreadsheet. By the same token, I could have hand-addressed the shower invites just as fast. I had had no probelm addressing all of the "Save the Date" cards we sent out several weeks ago. In fact, I enjoyed praying over the people as I wrote out almost 200 names and addresses.
But I was not going to worm out of it this time. Heidi showed me the ready-made cells, and it wasn't even Excel, but a Word program! I just had to type in each square and go on to the next one. She typed the first one for me, and today I completed another M.O.B. task! We'll set the labels in the printer just right, now that I have the complete list of addresses inserted.
The wonderful thing about arranging an event is the oppportunity to see God's handiwork in your life as you look forward to friends coming together to share your joy. Friends are such a gift from God, who created in man a need for companionship. We can all name exceptions to the rule, but even committed loners, if shown God's love through our caring, learn to receive that love and bask in the affection of others as they develop social skills and the desire to reach out to others in the same way. Let's look at God's creative plan for companionship.
- Genesis 2:18: "It is not good that man should be alone." The creation of marriage.
- Ecclesiastes 4:9: "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor." Mutual aid.
- Psalm 133:1: "Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!" God's people worship the Lord together.
- Matthew 4:19: "He (Jesus) said to them, 'Follow Me.' " Jesus called his disciples to accompany Him in His ministry, and train them to carry it on after His death.
- Ephesians 2:18: "For through Him, we both have access by one Spirit to the Father." Jews and Gentiles are now united by the blood of Christ to form the Church.
- Hebrews 10:24-25: "Let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching." Believers are to keep one another accountable and encouraged until the end.
Finally, how are believers identified in this world? I John 4: 7 & 8 tell us:
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for
GOD IS LOVE.