Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Trudging on the inside


7:25 p.m. Today's project was a simple one: stay awake, don't faint, drive safe! I truly made it through my day on the wings of my family's and friends prayers, because I got precious little sleep last night.


Several times during the night, and early this morning, Steve had episodes of thrashing and yelling out, "sleep terrors," as they are known. It doesn't happen frequently, but episodes have worsened with the progression of his Alzheimer's. The disturbing panics used to be asssociated with his sleep apnea, but the C-pap machine has taken care of that so his breathing is very steady, quite normal.


When these scary events happen, I rearrange Steve's covers, have him turn over, and make sure he doesn't shut off his C-pap button in his sleep. Last night, just as I would drift off to a solid sleep, another pillow-slamming disruption would take place. Each time the Lord would grant me another sleep session, but I was an exhausted wreck this morning!


I'll have to see what the doctor recommends when we go for Steve's next checkup. But for today, with our grandsons arriving, a hair appointment, the caregiver coming to be with Steve as he does each Friday, the "rat man" due over to check the traps in the crawl space, and an appointment to give a facial to a delightful octogenarian, there would be no nap or even respite. I requested prayer from my friends on Facebook after posting my daily verse, Psalm 121:1-2:


I will lift up my eyes to the hills--

From whence comes my help?

My help comes from the LORD,

Who made heaven and earth.


In my journal, I quoted the assurance the Apostle Paul received from God in 2 Corinthians 12:9:


My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.


Though I felt uplifted and strengthened spiritually by the time I went upstairs to get ready for the day, I was trudging on the inside, and actually feared fainting! I quickly fetched my pushbutton Freedom Alert pendant and wore it while I got myself together, texting the kids to pray.


But it turned out that God had nothing but good news for me today. Adrian and Xavier arrived just as I was putting on my shoes, offering me a good burst of energy with their hugs. Steve's caregiver arrived, met the boys, and actually tore them away from their notebook computers to go walking with Steve and the dogs, I heard when I popped back home for lunch. The rat man came over during my facial appointment in Moreno Valley, and found no carcasses.


The above-pictured shocking pink blowdryer reflected my mood when I entered Rite-Aid, tired still, but capable of being cheered by something as minor as the color of an appliance!

I was spurred on by some lunch, gave a much-appreciated facial, and finally caught some shut-eye during the movie "Mars Needs Moms," a PG-rated sci-fi farce. (Nothing wrong with the movie, but the cool, dark theater was just too tempting)!


As we wrapped things up with a trip to giant bargain grocer Winco and enjoyed barbequed chicken sandwiches for dinner, I thank God that He kept me joyful and highly favored with everyone I met today. And my appointment was quite successful, with the added bonus of hearing my client's firsthand stories of world War II.
God graciously kept us all safe as I drove us about, a big answer to prayer. God is so good! Tomorrow will be another whirlwind with the boys, and we'll love every minute of it. But there'll be one difference: I'll sleep well tonight, grateful and content in the arms of Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment