Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dad: the glory of his kids














5:17 p.m. Today's project was to welcome my dad, Heather and Nick, Kriss, Heidi and Pavel to join an almost-impromptu lunch here for Father's Day. I say it was "almost" impromptu because no one knew what the main dish was, though I had some seasoned chicken fajita filling thawing out. After Kriss, Heather and Nick arrived, we decided to make taco salad, so off the kids went to my daughter's house to get tortilla chips and homemade salsa. Heather had brought some spicy potato salad from Ralphs already, so it all fit perfectly. I had grapes leftover from my spa party, so that left Jack cheese to be grated and salad lettuce to tear up. After Nick fried the meat, it was time to sit down to dinner.



Just as we sat at the dining room table, and were ready to pray, in came Heidi and fiance Pavel, a little later than usual from children's church, where they teach 5th & 6th grade during 3rd service. We had our usual hilarious meal, discussing the merits of the Welsh terrier Heidi and Pavel might be interested in (pending more information), as well as favorite flowers, goofy misdirected greetings with delivered flowers, Kriss slaughtering all comers playing interactive online spelling games, and my gripe against excessive holidays when I can't send or receive mail!

Let's not forget the red-tailed hawk that sits on a light standard above the Canyon Crest hill, but needs to come to our house and rid our property of vermin, if you please! I'd even welcome the cat next door at this point.



Yes, we run the gamut of conversation, but all are included in the fun. But as we all carried on, Daddy and Steve were more quiet, but proud and happy that their special occasion was also marked by cards and gifts, the best of which are happy, healthy, energetic, successful kids and grandkids. Proverbs 17:6 says,



Children's children are the crown of old men,

And the glory of children is their father.



We'll be picking up our grandsons later, so I fully appreciate the first part of that verse. But I've pondered the second part of that verse many times, and it never seemed too clear to me until I viewed a wonderful video today at church that shows a little boy following proudly behind his father. As a daughter, I know I've been shaped by my dad's "doctrines" and advice to this day. As Hebrews 12:9 puts it, "we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect."



The closeness our children have with Steve is very precious to view. They're all proud of him for his courageous efforts to fight his Alzheimer's, and do try to help him as appropriate, in as unobtrusive a manner as possible. I'm proud of them, and touched by their kindness.



Last week, Steve was frustrated that a fertilizer spreader wasn't functioning properly, so I said, "just broadcast it by hand, walking in rows." (We are hosting the rehearsal dinner for Heidi next Thursday, so the backyard needs to look un-dead!) He would scoop up the little white beadlets but became confused at what was needed, and I had to get back to my indoor task. How precious it was to see Heidi go out to the yard and help him broadcast, biblical style, until they got the yard sprinkled with nutrient! She's also gone out to try to fix one cockamamie sprinkler head that turns around to fling water at the patio slider, but, bless her heart, despite her efforts it's looking pretty intractable; I'll just shut the system off Wednesday night.



We have a wonderful week ahead with the wedding on Saturday, and family members from both sides will be working together as yet another family forms!

No comments:

Post a Comment