Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The eye of the hurricane



7:22 p.m. Today's project was to welcome Steve's sister and brother-in-law, cousin Bill and cousins Chuck and Sandra, to lunch at our house. Linda had called on Monday, and with Chuck and Sandra down from Oregon for Heidi's wedding, it would be special to visit with us at length beforehand.


"We'll bring lunch," Linda told us. So who could turn that down this busy wedding week?


In lieu of the writing time I would ordinarily do on Wednesday, I left yesterday open and praise be to God, finished my prep for Thursday's study. Now Steve and I just had to quickly clean up the downstairs, water the garden, and the yards before noon.


I prayed for wisdom with two errands I had for the wedding today--picking up Steve's rental outfit, and dropping off items the florist will set out for us on wedding day. Again, I thank the Lord who gives wisdom! James 1:5 says,


If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.


God showed me that if I left at 10:00, I had time to do both errands in the western end of Riverside before our guests were to arrive at noon. And best of all, I could relax and enjoy the visit, not be fretting about having time to go out later, in worse traffic! Steve had already walked the dogs, and was busy picking cleaning up the yard. Happily, all went smoothly.


We had a lovely lunch--delicious chicken salad in croissants, Greek-style salad, avocado, and a huge fresh fruit plate. I asked Linda to put away her homemade cookies because of Steve's reaction to sugar (see "Sugar Bomb" posted 5/29). It's belittling to tell a grown man in front of guests that he can't have dessert with everyone else, and I won't do that. The fruit made a fantastic as dessert anyway!


There's nothing like catching up with family, the stories from decades back, mixed with interest in my book and how it came about, the Mary Kay business, and the latest technology pros and cons. Did you know there's a flashlight app. on the Droid?! Chuck and Sandra are very much the world travelers, so it was fun to swap memories. They were also able to give Heidi tips on what to do in Maui , where she and Pavel will be this time next week!


When I say the visit was the calm eye of the storm, I'm not exaggerating. Steve tried on the pants, shirt and jacket I picked up and good grief! The shirt would have fit our bodybuilder Steven, ditto for the pants! The jacket was fine. I think they mixed up my two guys' orders. Good thing I don't have a hair appointment Friday, because that's when the right-size clothes will be in. I'll have to work around the piecing together of the table favors with Heidi and her bridesmaids, as well as the pedicures that are planned for all of us!


Add in last-minute arrangements for the wedding rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner to be held here Thursday night, and we do have much on our plate. But I know the ladies at Bible study Thursday morning will be praying for us, along with our many friends and family members.


Pray that we might be found faithful in all that we do this week as a family, and that our daughter's wedding will bring God glory, and be a testimony to His faithfulness!

No comments:

Post a Comment