Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Through God's eyes



3:02 p.m. Today's project is to differentiate between the truth of God's holy character and the general atmosphere of lies that we are surrounded by in this world. Our pastor, in his sermon on Exodus 20:16--You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor--enumerated many shades and nuances of lying that, if we are not careful, even Christians can begin to take for granted!




For the last few days, I have been pondering the lies we tell ourselves about ourselves that do not match up with God's opinions of us at all. Our all-knowing God sees us as complete, righteous and holy, through His Son, Jesus Christ! Hard to take in, isn't it? But it is true! The headliner of this blog states as its purpose:



Daily life, dedicated to the Lord Jesus Christ, who works in my life as Lord of all of me--accepting me as His, loving me just as I am today, but seeing me as so much better than I can ever imagine, as I grow in His grace!


Above is a picture of a gift I designed for my daughter Heidi, an acronym made from the letters of her future married name that reflect the lovely qualities God sees in her. She may or may not believe all that I wrote, but that's okay. It's what God sees that counts!



The beliefs we have about ourselves come from a number of sources: parents, teachers, coaches, circumstances, the odd comment, official documents, the house you live in, even the mirror! Think about how these beliefs have only a temporary bit of truth in them at best!



"You're a failure" is a lie once you succeed.

"You're fat" is a lie once you lose weight.

"You're lazy" is a lie once you make an effort.

"You're crazy" is a lie once the Lord brings healing.

"You're poor" is a lie once the Lord shows you how to earn a living.



Even kindly people can have us believing we are doomed when in Christ there is always hope, in this life and the next! "Tragic," "so unfair," and "you poor thing" are comments very loving people have said to me about Steve's Alzheimer's and its effect on me as his wife. From our human point of view, those words could well describe a once-brilliant mechanical guy who could not remember how to thread a belt through the loops on his jeans this morning, and the extra effort it takes for me to keep him on track. But does God see him as a pathetic, hopeless creature, or as His beloved child with much yet to contribute, who is going through a dark passage on his way to glory? Does God see Steve as a burden on his family and community, or as a fount of blessing to those who have been called to come alongside our family?



Here's what the Bible says:



I Samuel 16:7b:



For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart.



Isaiah 55:9:



For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.



Psalm 139:13-14a:



For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.



Jeremiah 1:5:



Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you.



Jeremiah 31:3:



Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you.



Mark 10:21a:



Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him...



John 3:16:



For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.



From rebellious nations to misguided, doubting, anxious, questioning , disappointed and clueless individuals like we can all be at times, God loves and sees a brilliant future for those He has called His!



Let's agree with our Heavenly Father today!



1 comment:

  1. Hello Dana,
    I have been a follower of your blog since I first saw it on my twin sister, Sharon Schutte's blog. I just wanted to tell you that you are a gift and a blessing to me. Thank you for being so transparent and having that desire to be a vessel of honor for God's glory. Have a good and Godly week, Karon Nichols

    ReplyDelete