Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Drive



936 a.m. Today's project was to find something to drive. My Jeep quit on me just before I was due at the wedding site, and I managed to park it on the shoulder of the overpass of Nason and the 60 freeway east. Praise Jesus that two carloads of the bridesmaids pulled up behind me, loaded their cars with Heidi's gown, all my get-ready stuff and my M.O.B. dress, and we went on as planned. The Jeep was towed home about 10:30 that night. Our mechanic will be coming over tomorrow to give us the verdict!



This morning while I was writing in my journal, my Mary Kay Sales Director called me, and I told her of the appointments I would be missing because I was only going to use my daughter's car to return her dad's rental outfit. Laurie countered, "The Lord had you on my heart very strongly this morning, so that's why I called you! You can borrow my van." We made arrangements for her to pick me up at 11:30, and now I have transportation for the days our grandsons will be here, as well as for my appointments. God is so good, using His people to bless one another!



I enjoy this description of God from Job 37:22b-24:



With God is awesome majesty.

As for the Almighty, we cannot

find Him;

He is excellent in power,

In judgment and abundant justice;

He does not oppress.

Therefore men fear Him;

He shows no partiality to any who

are wise of heart.



I think that we forget the immense power and glory of God because we are so wrapped up in daily issues and struggles, perplexed as to what we should do, how to lay it all out on Him instead of limiting ourselves to practical actions. Oswald Chambers writes, June 27th:



The most devout among us become atheistic in this connection; we do not believe God, we enthrone common sense and tack the name of God onto it. We do lean on our own understanding, instead of trusting God with all our hearts.



"Guilty," we can easily pronounce ourselves on this score!



Another test soon presented itself. Shortly after our teenage grandsons arrived, Steve went out to walk the dogs, but discovered that they were gone! (Steve had most likely left the gate open while working in the yards). Off he went with the boys to find them, but we discovered from a neighbor that Animal Services had picked them up. I made some phone calls, went online, and found their pictures and file numbers at the shelter's website. Now we have to wait until tomorrow at 10 a.m. to go get Bailey and Jada. I am just throwing myself on God's mercy that their "redemption fee" won't be too high. I printed up a picture of Steve and the boys with the dogs to take with us and our ID as well. Now I'm wondering, is it safe for Steve to be in charge of the dogs? We love them so much, and they are wonderful companions for him. God knows...



We took the boys with us on errands after dinner, and returned to do our hill walk and relax for the evening. As I was putting on my Skecher Shape-ups, I heard this crashing, splintering noise at the entryway. I ran over to the horrific sight of the door jamb broken, the wood splintered and the lock plate on the floor, screws scattered! What happened? Our older grandson said, "I was running into the house, tripped on my shoelace and my shoulder hit the door!" How on earth did that happen? He's not THAT big for age 15! At least the deadbolt is still in place. Maybe we'll set the alarm tonight and the next several nights until it gets permanently repaired. He and I went on a walk, and I didn't really scold him, but did say, "You're too old to be running in the house, and too old to have your shoelace untied." He was mortified, so enough said. At this stage of his Alzheimer's, Steve didn't know what to do, so I set him on a totally different little task to keep him busy while I walked on the nearby hill with Adrian.



Again, God provided. The younger grandson found some Tacky Glue--the mega-strong Gorilla Glue was not to be found--and took it upon himself to glue the jamb and the plate back into place! The outer frame isn't nailed down yet, but at least now that the glue has dried, the door is locked and bolted.



We still have some major pieces of likely bad news coming, between the Jeep repair and the dog recovery fee, but as Jesus said in Luke 12:25-26,



Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? If you are not able to do the least, why are you anxious for the rest?



My challenge for today and tomorrow is to live Proverbs 3:5-6:



Trust in the LORD with all your heart

And lean not upon your own understanding;


In all your ways acknowledge Him,

And He shall direct your paths.
























No comments:

Post a Comment