Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Just in time



6:46 p.m. Today's project was to help our daughter with wedding details, different projects for each day, now that we're a little over a week away! Exciting times, though not always pleasant. Lots of stress--deadlines will do that to you! But deadlines also get us moving, don't they?





I had picked up a dozen bottles of Martinell's sparkling apple cider at Vons last night for the toast, but upon arrival at home, two bottles were discovered to be apple-pomegranate. Delicious, but not quite uniform for a wedding reception. So we needed to switch for another case. I went to bed not thinking much about it, until the Lord woke me up at 5:54 a.m.



"Hmmm," I thought, after a few minutes, "Vons opens at 6 o'clock"! I called, and got the bookkeeper, but she made arrangements with a manager to have a case ready for exchange. (And unlike the virtuous wife of Proverbs 31, who rises while it is still night, I went back to sleep!) Praise the Lord, Heidi went down the hill and made the trade.


Another quest I undertook on the way home from delivering makeup to a customer, was to find a nail salon large enough to take Heidi and her bridesmaids, and possibly me, at the same time for pedicures the day before the wedding. I know of one close by, but maybe my younger daughter Heather has something in mind. We're on the case!


Neither Thursday Bible study nor my business are on sabbatical the next two weeks, so I spent the afternoon writing the lesson for tomorrow. While on a stretch break, I confirmed a caregiver on Friday for 2:15-8 p.m., because I am hosting a spa party here at the house that will occupy the whole downstairs. While ladies soak their feet, they'll enjoy a facial. Then, if they care to, they may pay my friend Amy, a certified massage therapist, for a chair massage at the rate of $1/ minute. I think even 5 minutes of professional massage would really change anyone's outlook for the better, don't you? I just envision the stress fleeing away! Of course I hope to make some sales of my products, too.


The hoped-for plan for Steve and his caregiver is to go to a movie, have something to eat, and maybe see what else they can do to stay occupied. We have a tv upstairs that can show DVDs, so that could wrap up their evening. But talk about God's timing! I was looking for movie show- times in our nearby shopping center, when my glance fell upon the beautiful picture of a dear friend's mother on the obituary page. Alma Herman was 93 when she passed away, blessedly into the arms of Jesus. I had met her many times over the years at my friend Linda's home. She had been living with Kim and Linda the last 7 months. Whenever Linda and I had a chance to talk, we could truly commiserate with one another as caregivers. I was able to send Linda a message of condolence, and hope to talk to her soon.


What if I had just tossed the paper for lack of time to read it, like I do several times a week? But God had a different plan, didn't He? A wiser, more superior plan, guided by the Holy Spirit, while I was just going about taking care of business!


No matter how busy and hectic our lives become, if we have given our lives to Christ, we have this assurance in Psalm 138:8


The LORD will perfect that which concerns me.


No comments:

Post a Comment