Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Prevailing prayer



6:00 p.m. Today's project was to pack up my clothes and personal items and place them in the Jeep because I had to leave the Calvary Chapel Women's Retreat at the Twin Peaks conference center a day early. At 6:30 a.m., I had already exited our room and gone to the center's lounge for a cup of coffee with my devotions, an invigorating walk in the brisk air. I was looking forward to eating breakfast with my daughter and her friends, and hoping to participate in at least some of the morning's General Session before leaving at 10:00.



Friday was the first time since Steve has needed more consistent supervision for his Alzheimer's that I've been gone overnight. I decided that one night would be a good start, so my daughter Heather and her husband Nick stayed with him. Heather reported no incidents and that her dad did well, completing all of his chores without reminders. Seems like a change-of-pace was just the right thing for Steve. I was able to enjoy fellowship as well as minister to women, the Lord's calling for my life in the Body of Christ!! As one of my favorite verses, Psalm 133:1 says, "Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!" Sistren, too!


Friday afternoon provided a scare to our three cars that were caravaning up the mountain with me bringing up the rear. We were all flagged over by a patrol car, and then told to move over to a wider turnout. What on earth? we all wondered. On a winding mountain road within a mile of our destination, we couldn't have been going more than 30 mph. Linda got out of the first car to ask the officer what was the matter, explained that we were on our way to a women's retreat, and he pointed to my car. Yikes! I rolled down my window and was told that my tags had expired. True, I explained, but I'd paid the registration fee and neglected to get it smogged. I'd even checked out a couple of places and then just forgot to follow up. I was sincerely sorry, because I know that was my responsibility. The young officer took my ID and insurance, and while he checked me out, I texted the girls in both cars to pray, and pray they did.


After deciding I was legit, he asked, "I'm giving you a verbal warning, ma'am. When are you going to take care of that?" "MONDAY," I called out with relief. And I know the Lord will hold me to that! How humiliating! The "lot" fell on my head, like Aichan who stole the heathen goods in Joshua 7. God doesn't allow His people to be scofflaws, even by accident!


As we all parked at the conference center, my friends told me that they prayed there would be no ticket, because I couldn't afford it, that the officer would be nice, and they prayed for him!


Now that's prevailing prayer!


God hears and answers prayer in His great mercy, but He also holds us accountable to be righteous citizens and good examples to others, "that the word of God not be blaspemed," Titus 2:5.


Believers, pray for one another, as Ephesians 6:18 says,


Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with perseverance and supplication for all the saints..."

No comments:

Post a Comment