Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Up a level













4:44 p.m. Today's project was to attend our grandson Xavier's 8th grade promotion in Chula Vista. The 8:30 start time meant a 5 a.m. wakeup call for Steve, Heidi and me!



After some commotion with Steve needing to find the dogs' water bowl--it was in the front yard, unaccountably--we left 15 minutes later than we wanted to, but the heavy construction traffic in San Diego would have hung us up in any case. We kept in contact with our daughter-in-law Kippy by cell phone, and arrived shortly after the promoting Class of 2011 was seated.

The ceremony went by quickly, so when Xavier moved toward the podium, I slipped out of our row to the open area toward the front to snap a couple of photos. Soon, a campus aide requested that I sit down on a planter in the front to wait, very politely. But the funny thing was, he asked me in espanol! Happily, I do speak and understand Spanish, but how could he have known that? I got a chuckle out of that for sure.

Xavier high-fived and waved and enjoyed himself thoroughly, and who can blame him? I remember how thrilling it was to grow up and move through stages, with giddiness and exhilaration, but fear, too: "What if I don't get A's in junior high (or high school or college)?" Guess I was pretty driven! I actually stayed awake nights each summer wondering if I would be successful at the next grade levein September.

That drive to be at the top of my class kept me studying, out of trouble, and associating with other achievers--we didn't care about being called nerds. So what? We had goals and knew where we were headed--to top universities.

The difficulty comes when a young person feels that they must achieve in order to earn their parents' love, and I don't think that was the case with my parents. They were proud of me, and had a strong, encouraging influence and high expectations, but my motivation came from an inner drive for excellence.

As a Christian, I find that the Holy Spirit motivates me to excel in whatever area He has assigned--as a wife, mother, grandmother, Bible teacher, writer, and businesswoman in the various stages of my 31-year walk with Jesus. Now, the competition is not against other people, but against influences that would pull me down, slow me down in my race to the finish line-- heaven and all of its rewards. It's hard living this earthly life, especially if one aspires to make a difference in the kingdom of God. I try to remember Philippians 4:13 when the going gets tough:


I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.


In I Corinthians 9:24-27, the Apostle Paul describes the way to win an eternal crown:


Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into submission, lest when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.


Let God set your goals, obey the voice of His Spirit, be assured of His love and guidance, as well as His provision of opportunities for you to succeed using the gifts He has assigned you, and you will look at your life in amazement and say, "God has done this!"

No comments:

Post a Comment