Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Unparalleled beauty




















11:59 a.m. Today's project was to take the best pictures I could, with limited talent and equipment, of the gorgeous amaryllis bloom in my front yard. Not having an orderly, well-tended flower garden that is a monument to beauty, this vegetable gardener is thrilled to have raised even a few bulbs that are slowly producing irises, lilies and amaryllis!




I am always stunned to see what to me is a real treasure, row upon row, bordered walkways, trellises and planters that make up a formal garden. Seems that I need advice on plant food, sun or shade requirements, proper soil, and laying out a plan!




As I crouched down on my front lawn, peering at the stamens and pistils, the petals with their vibrant color, I couldn't help but think of Jesus' words in Luke 12:27 regarding God's decorating scheme:




Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.




Do lilies worry as to the right soil mix, hours of sunlight or shade, how much water and plant food they should have? Yet, much as we all admired the gorgeous historical costumes of the attendants and the bride's stunning gown at the recent royal wedding, can any human being make themselves as purely, perfectly beautiful as a flower? Of course not. (Though with every passing year, we ladies keep trying harder, don't we)?




There is a greater context to this passage of scripture, one which concerns so many of us now in tough times. Let's go on to the rest of our Lord's words, v. 28-31:




If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into an oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith? And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, or be of an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you. Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.




I admit, as would you, that it's easy to forget that we will one day rule and reign with Christ! We habitually become anxious, and rarely stay calm in a trial, when finances are small and bills are huge! Yet when our focus remains fixed, from the first thing in the morning in devotions, Bible study and prayer, throughout the day, lifting each issue and need to the Lord in trust, and ending the day writing praises to my God, I can know, on a rough day or a great one, that God is with me from my first to my last day! Psalm 16:5-8 says,




O LORD, you are the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You maintain my lot.


The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; yes, I have a good inheritance. (Remember the kingdom?)


I will bless the LORD who has given me counsel; my heart also instructs me in the night seasons.


I have set the LORD always before me; because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.




Take your stand now, refuse to be moved, and stand with Jesus Christ forever, for eternity! Remember it is He who said (Hebrews 13:5):




I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU NOR FORSAKE YOU.


No comments:

Post a Comment