Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Knowing I'm His

8:07 p.m. Today's project was to pick up my dad from his assisted living apartment and go on an outing to the bank where we have an account, to get a recent statement printed up.I was to be there about 9 a.m., but there was a major morning mess to clean up and put in the washer before Steve's bus came for him, and I could leave. Steve is struggling now, but he boarded in good spirits, leaving the care giver and me to finish cleaning up. Even through the extra, unexpected chores and trials we find ourselves engulfed in tempt us to feel lonely or dejected, God is faithful, loving, and all that His children need! As He promises, in I Corinthians 10:13 (NLT),

God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you can endure.

My errand with Daddy started an hour and a half late. Although he was dressed and shaven and ready, he was sitting up in his bed when I came in with clean laundry and assorted items from his house. When I asked if he'd eaten breakfast, he querulously said, "You'd think they'd feed people around here!" Turns out he hadn't gone to breakfast, nor had he asked the morning meds person to arrange for a tray to be brought in. So I went down to the front desk after urging Daddy to go over to his desk/table in preparation for eating.

As I filled out the check-out form on the clipboard, walked with him to the Jeep, and then got him and his walker loaded in, I mentally laughed at the reason I feel so relaxed when I'm at Villa De Anza: EVERYTHING  moves at a snail's pace!! The Lord has a sense of humor, with the hyper-energetic me needing to slow down drastically as Daddy and I navigate the halls together. I do walk really fast when going alone to the front desk to ask for something he needs and on the way back, swerving and slowing down for those dear ones with their smiling faces, walkers, wheelchairs, and canes. Residents are friendly, and love to be greeted and have small conversations with one another and even me, the newest daily visitor.

All went well at the bank, with Daddy not even using his walker. He and I went over the security and financial matters I'm handling for him as his appointed person with power of attorney, and then had a brief visit with Heidi and Pavel. We had to fly back to Riverside from Redlands, however, because I have to be home by 2 p.m. to help Steve off the bus. Today's ride was much smoother, because the wild lady was dropped off first. Simple solution to the concern I expressed this morning to the Special Trans. service. Thank You, Lord!

Even though I am in a 2-day crunch to get my Thursday Bible study written and prepare for my trip to see Steven compete in a national bodybuilding contest in Las Vegas, I am grateful for the opportunity to take time in my day to go out and about with my dad. Steve and I still had time to pick up his prescriptions and then head to a drive-through car wash.

Someone asked why my car has to be clean. It's because I have been reflecting on a Bible study  heard on K-Wave 107.9 FM about being a good steward of the things God has given us. Also, a neat and tidy house and car are a good witness to the world--that we are living with an attitude of gratitude. That's not found too much these days, is it?

God's best treat was yet to come! I paid for and entered a carwash at a local AM PM  gas station, which Steve was enjoying too. Just after my Jeep had been washed and rinsed, the carwash broke down! I wasn't signaled to go forward and the blowers didn't come on. Yikes! After sitting a few minutes, to see if it would resume, and waving off the driver behind me, I called the phone number on the receipt, told them my potential problem (a spottily dried car), and they told me to go on through and they'd refund my money. I was glad of that, but feared a spotty car I couldn't dry fast enough by hand, working solo by necessity.

But praise be to God, when I jumped out to get my refund and some paper towels to dry the hood, the vehicle looked pretty and shiny, with few spots! Thank you, Lord, that with all that is going on in my life, including painful (and limiting) arthritis, You even cared about a relatively minor matter for Your daughter!

And that's how I know that I'm His!

No comments:

Post a Comment