Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Situated

11:30 p.m. Today's project was to have my dad moved from Redlands Community Hospital to Emeritus' Villa De Anza Assisted Living facility in Jurupa Valley. The word "facility" seems almost a misnomer, because this place is more like a Spanish hacienda, with private apartments and suites, and as little or much personal care as each individual tenant requires.

Daddy had spent the last 4 days at the hospital, having been brought there by my daughter Heidi, her husband and I on Tuesday evening in very bad shape. During his stay, he received 6 units of blood, constant fluids, and had his diagnosis of untreated and advanced bladder cancer confirmed. The doctor made it very clear that Daddy was not to go home to live alone ever again. So I spent yesterday morning seeking a restful, but well-appointed location for him, where Heidi, Heather, Sean, and I can visit regularly and keep his needs supplied. But truly, we know who our Supplier is, because in Philippians 4:19, the Apostle Paul assures us, from having lived a life of great faith,

My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

VITAS hospice will cover his medical needs and palliative care, paid completely by Medicare Part A. As his Power of Attorney for medical and financial issues, I will pay for his room and board, negotiating the fees as his care need level goes down,(or rises) monthly. I am prayerfully trying to be  that "wise steward" of his resources. I Corinthians 4:2 says,

Moreover it is required in stewards that a man be found faithful.



Yesterday, and early this morning, I arranged with Hospice and the Emeritus administrator, to have Daddy picked up from the hospital at 2 :00 p.m. That gave me time to not only close a Mary Kay party I was holding from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. while Heidi, Pavel, my nephew Chance and girlfriend Sandra from San Diego visited with their grandpa, but to stop at his house first to pick up more necessities. However, when my party wrapped up and and as I prepared to leave, I had this frantic call from Heidi that the transport had arrived at 11:30 and that Grandpa was already on his way to Villa De Anza!! WHAT!!! Having no other choice but to move with all due haste, I kissed Steve goodbye and drove on over to my dad's new home. As I walked into the lobby from the parking lot, there Daddy was on the gurney, having just rolled in! Pinpoint timing. Only the Lord could have done it!!

Miscommunication and odd happenings cause us to be flexible. I plan to bring Steve to visit on Sunday, and retrieve Daddy's things Monday. Now I've seen that his beautiful apartment has a microwave and a fridge, which I would have known too late for my planned trip to go to his house first for clothes and sundries.  I would have needed a second trip to Redlands to grab snack foods and veggies for him. Isn't God good? Psalm 34:8 says,

O, taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

And as you can see, from the picture of Daddy's visit with his great grandson Clark, no amounts of stress and momentary irritation can compare with this snapshot in time! 

1 comment: