Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Joy and joyas!



6:36 p.m. Today's project was to visit Heidi's fiance Pavel's family in the western La Sierra neighborhood of Riverside. Both of us sets of parents were eager to meet and enjoy the people who raised our children in the Lord. I love the way the Lord is working in Heidi and Pavel's lives, so they can say with David in Psalm16:5-8:


O LORD, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup;

You maintain my lot.

The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;

Yes, I have a good inheritance.

We had had a very exciting weekend already. Pavel came over on Friday to get our permission to ask for Heidi's hand in marriage. When he texted earlier that afternoon to see if Steve and I would be home at 4 o'clock, this experienced mother of the bride knew what was up!

When Pavel came in, I invited him to join us in the living room. He opened up his heart and asked us both if he could propose to Heidi! So exciting, and the right thing to do; Heather's husband Nick did the same thing 2-1/2 years ago. Steve gave him an immediate thumbs-up, but I said "Let's build up a little suspense!" and we pretended to be consulting with one another. After the requisite "grilling" about where and how they planned to live, his future career plans and adjustments for his serious eye disease, we of course said "yes." We moved on to discuss children they want to have. Then, of course, we put our heads together to figure out how he'd keep a surprise element in his proposal. (Like me, Heidi doesn't surprise well--we figure things out). We decided that it would have to happen in the course of everyday life, in a place where Heidi normally would be.

Lo and behold, after third service, the lovebirds burst in the door full of thrill and energy...Heidi wearing her stunning Tacori ring! Pavel had had Pastor Sammy ask Heidi to meet with him. In the meanwhile, the kids and Pavel had banners ready, and one of Pastor Mark's sons had the video camera set. Pavel even went down on one knee and proposed there in the 5th&6th grade Sunday School class! Too precious! I can't wait until the CD is ready.

After I took some "ring" pictures and posted them on Facebook, of course (!) we went off to Pavel's home. What a gardener's and orchard keeper's paradise! And the Romanian hospitality, hilarious conversation and many building projects kept us all very relaxed, blessed and perfectly compatible. The barbecued pork and chicken were fantastic, and lots of salad and yummy desserts served to order with coffee ended a lovely afternoon. We left with gifts, too: a basket of fresh eggs, cheesecake, apple pie and lots of grilled pork. Rodica and her daughters like the Mary Kay goody bag I brought, too.

All in all, I agree with the Psalmist, that despite our trials, today's events showed me that indeed, "The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places."

1 comment: