Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

Quite a day!


3:20 p.m. Today's project was to take Steve to Parkview Hospital's Ambulatory Surgery Center by 10:00 a.m. for an age 50+ routine colonoscopy. He had done very well with the prep process, unlike myself a few years back. This could have been either because of the more streamlined process, only one gallon of solution to drink, as opposed to two or three different items I had to to consume, or, because he has a perfectly normal digestive system. I suspect the latter!
When we arrived right on the dot, the center was very crowded. We signed in, and I gave the receptionists some Mary Kay lipstick samples, as I always like to do. I filled out tons of paperwork, Steve signed and initialled them, and we waited about 3 hours, during which I was reading A Light to My Path, a novel by Lynn Austen about Civil War-era slaves from South Carolina who come to a saving faith in Jesus Christ through their brutal trials and eventual emancipation. When I first began the latest book my reading buddy Charlotte loaned me, the descriptions of the slaves' beatings and degradation were so graphic [for me, the queen of squeamishness, anyway!] that I put the book down for a few days. I then felt compeeled to give it another try. As the narrative picked up more of an adventurous tone and the characters developed further, I really got into it. Tears flowed rather easily, because I realized that I am only 4 generations of my family away from slavery. What courage, stamina and faith my ancestors showed, on both of my parents' sides of the family, Mississippi for Daddy, North Carolina for Mommy. So while Steve watched tv, I was very well occupied.
While Steve's procedure took place, I got good exercise walking around the perimeter of the hospital to the cafeteria to purchase lunch for me and Steve both, since he'd be ravenous after 24 hours of juice and Jello fasting. The tuna salad I had was just the way I like it--NO SWEET PICKLE--and Steve enjoyed the ham and cheese sandwich on our way home. No complications, just a smooth procedure, praise the Lord! How wonderful that Jesus goes out ahead of His people, His sheep, in every situation! In John 10:3b-4, Jesus alludes to Himself as our Shepherd:
"...the sheep hear [the shepherd's]voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice." There is no one I trust like I trust Jesus!
Just before we left to come home, I got a very curious text message from Heidi's boyfriend Pavel asking if Steve and I were going to be home at 4 p.m. ...my lips are sealed for now, I'll keep you posted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment