Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Setting sail






5:52 p.m. Today's project was to find, borrow, or make a costume for our church's Vacation Bible School. Heidi was asked by the director of Children's Ministry, Ivett, to teach the preschool Bible Center, but since she felt less than qualified to work with that age group, she pleaded with me to do it, pledging to be my helper. I was happy to acept the job, because I like to participate in VBS each summer, in any role needed, and I missed it last year when it didn't work out. In her persuasive speech, Heidi reminded me of the fun I had doing Bible stories, puppets, action songs and crafts with the preschoolers at Moms' Mornings for 4 years. (I also led the School Readiness program for 3-5 year olds for the Jurupa Unified School District). Even though my VBS experiences had always been at the elementary level, I figure the Lord has a new adventure in store! So I laughingly said yes. VBS is exhausting, but sheer fun and excitement--I can't wait--wait, it's next Sunday! Coming up fast...at least my Bible study message is written for the ladies tomorrow!

The theme this year is High Seas Expedition, so all things nautical will be on display to welcome the preschoolers. I've had a number of conversations with VBS leader Veronica and Ivett about decorating the room, and was given the names of young gals who will help me. I've been gathering items for object lessons for the different days, like a lantern for the Apostle Peter's escape out of jail; ocean-themed blankets for pretend sailing when Peter steps out of the boat to walk to Jesus; bandages and gauze for the day we speak about healing; and little kid books to compare the Bible, which is true, to the stories, which are pretend. As we look at Bible accounts of miracles and faith, the key idea we want to get across is that God's Word is true! In fact, every time we say, "God's Word is true," we all yell, "Let's Go!"

Steve and I went to the Goodwill thrift store, and bought the nautical striped top and canvas shoes pictured above--pretty spiffy! I had the pants, and he found me a hat I can use from his closet!! Why did I fret so about the outfit?! Doesn't Philippians 4:19 say, "My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus"?

From the Bible center, crews of tots go with their leaders to the craft, snack, video and game areas. There will be a large gathering in the sanctuary each night also. Stage leader Regina, a high school art teacher at Calvary Chapel, will make sure that the stage is dazzlingly spectacular, and the singing is loud and exciting for the kids. Above all, the crew leaders will give each child ample opportunities to ask Jesus into their hearts, many for the first time! How many hundreds of examples have I heard of in my 30 years as a Christian of children accepting Christ as their Savior, and excitedly insisting that their parents come to church, too? The verse Isaiah 11:6, though speaking of the kingdom age and the Messiah's reign, is often quoted in these cases: "A little child shall lead them."

But what drives all child evangelism are the words of our Lord Jesus Christ Himself in Luke 18:16:

Let the little children to come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment