Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A new study



4:10 p.m. Today's Project was to carpool over to our first summer women's Bible study of 2010 at Debbie Snyder's house. So exciting! Studying and preparation began a few months ago, including printing up the lessons, hot off the press from my editor Esther Balos. I had reminded all of my study regulars and invited many other friends by email and FB, and couldn't wait to see what God was going to do.

I got up at 6:30 to have my regular devotions and Bible study time, currently in the book of Micah, and to post Psalm 78:5 (God's command to Israel teach His laws to their children) on Facebook. Since Steve needed to begin his fruit juice and Jello fast before his colonoscopy tomorrow, I thought I'd let him sleep in later. The fewer hours you have to be hungry, the better!

Debbie, a friend I met through my daughter Heather and husband Nick, came over a little before 9:30 to ride along. She was taking a huge step of faith, because she had never attended a Bible study of any kind! We chatted and waited for one long-time friend from Harvest, who had mentioned that she needed to drive herself, and would follow us because she has a grandbaby due any moment. We left about 9:40.

Everything looked wonderful at Debbie Snyder's, as we began the 3rd year at her home, 5th year so far. She had muffins and drinks for us. Jenny and Cindy were already there, and we were soon joined by Theresa, Karen, Michelle and Bobbi. Charlotte is on vacation, Joyce has this last day of teaching, Cindy B had a dentist appointment, and Malinda has repairs going on at her home. We are expecting some more teachers, including my daughter Heidi, and a couple of moms just about finished babysitting for their teacher daughters! It was a nice mix of "ages and stages."
One by one, we introduced ourselves, ending with me. I told the women that this was the first Bible study I wrote, 1985, I think, and it was a direct result of the reflective note-taking I did in my quiet time--not the time I spent preparing to teach my home Bible study, or for a session at Harvest. Quiet time is the key! Theresa chimed in very powerfully, saying, "There is no growth or spiritual depth without personal devotions, digging into the Word for yourself." Amen to that, we all agreed.
As I told the women during the introduction to I Samuel, when I teach a book of history, I like to go back to the book(s) before it. I touched briefly upon Ruth, for the genealogy of David, and the human family of Jesus, but we talked quite a bit about the Book of Judges to set the tone for
I Samuel. For the first eight chapters of the book, Israel is still in the era of judges, charismatic leaders who would rise up to deliver God's people from the enemies the Lord allowed--or sent--to afflict them for their idolatry. In a rollercoaster cycle that many Christians experience in their own lives, the Israelites were in a victory-disgrace-victory-disgrace cycle that would leave them with intermittent peace for 10, 20 or 40 years. I handed out small maps of the areas the tribes were assigned by Moses, but sadly, because they did not drive out their enemies as commanded, the land of promise was only partially theirs by the time our book opens.
With spiritual and physical warfare, the transition to the monarchy, and the thrill of worship and answered prayer, this book of Bible history is anything but dull. We will see many many parallels to our Christian walk while "living" through developments in the key players' lives.
When we look at Israel today, in peril once again from her surrounding enemies, we see that "what goes around, comes around." Our study in I Samuel is as new as tomorrow's headlines!
There is no "news" to our eternal God!
And with the challenging, convicting, yet refreshing presence and voice of the Holy Spirit, the next months of study will be life-changing!

No comments:

Post a Comment