Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Openness



4:41 p.m. Today's project was to lead a workshop at our women's retreat entitled "Pulled in


Many Directions--Pointed in just One." The byline was "Multi-task Building," in line with the theme, "A wise woman builds her house; a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands." (Proverbs 14:1) Our director of women's ministries, Robin, asked me to take on that workshop because she felt that I pretty much exemplify multi-tasking! With my large and very diverse family, trials, and ministries, there was no point in disagreeing!!



After two nights of little sleep and large digestive battles, I was blessed by Saturday morning's general session on practical building of our relationship with God. During a lull in the session I re-read the workshop leader instructions and came upon this point: "Workshops are more instructional, but participants should play an active role." Uh-oh! I had been picturing more of a facilitation and guidance of discussion based on my handout the women would be filling out, not teaching! I love to teach God's Word, but in the hecticness of staying out of town Thursday night, and the aforementioned lack of sleep, I had missed a rather key point! So I was able to add scriptures from Haggai, Matthew and Luke that referred to building the Lord's way and making Him our top priority.



After lunch, the women arrived at our very comfy assigned area in the lobby, with couches and coffee tables, perfect for relaxed, non-threatening discussion. After greeting each one, I opened in prayer and gave my testimony. I reiterated the topic, and then shared the background of Haggai 1:9, that the returned exiles from Babylon, now in Judah, were busy building their own palatial houses, but neglecting the building of God's house, the Temple at Jerusalem.

You hoped for rich harvests, but they were poor. And when you brought your harvest home, I blew it away. Why? Because my house lies in ruins, says the LORD of Heaven's Armies, while you were busy building your own fine houses.

I pointed out that we get very busy going our own way, don't we? Are we sometimes guilty of putting God at the bottom of our "to-do" list? We then reflected on building on a firm foundation, Matthew 7:24-27, Jesus' story of the wise builder whose house was built on a rock, and the foolish builder whose house was founded on sand. Our lives need to be built on The Rock, Jesus Christ!



On the handout each woman filled out, between her and the Lord, where she stood on the major relationships of life: God; family (name each member); work, inside or outside the home; ministry. They ranked each area "doing well," "needs improvement," or "struggling."



They had several minutes to fill the forms out, and then I openly shared relationships that were doing well (The Lord, family relationships, ministry) and needs improvement (my new "work" as a retiree caring for Steve and walking the fine line between spouse/companion and caretaker). My openness paved the way for them to share very honestly about where most of them lack--time spent in reading and studying God's Word.

I threw in comments as needed, but the women taught themselves as they began to reflect on the point I wanted them to come to: the success of a Christian's life in ALL areas is directly in proportion to the time each of us devotes to seeking the truths of God's Word on our own, alone with Him before our day begins! I consider my personal time with the Lord beyond precious, exciting and invigorating--it's my time with the One who will always love me unconditionally!!



As we discussed the question "Are my priorities in order?" most admitted that theirs weren't--again, pure honesty! "What areas of my life lack the quality of commitment and time they
deserve?" More frank answers, showing tender conviction in the gals' hearts! And finally, the tough question every Christian faces: "What would the Lord ask me to change in my spiritual life, schedule, or commitments?" The only way to get the answer is to spend some intimate time with the Lord in reading the Bible and prayer.

We ended with the concept of "counting the cost" found in Luke 14:27-30. Yes, you will undoubtedly have to get up earlier, or find another definite pocket of time in your day to get alone with God, if you sincerely desire for Him to rebuild your life!

We may be pulled in many directions, but we must be pointed in only One!

















No comments:

Post a Comment