Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What to say










3:12 p.m. Today's project was to visit with a young woman who has suffered a great loss. Last week, I called to take a meal, but found out that the family was covered for today. I've been praying about having something ready for later on, and including the ladies from our ladies' helps ministry, but until my eyes fell on the time blocked out on my desk calendar, I had no firm plans.

I called ahead to get the okay from her mother and her best friend, rushed home to get Steve's lunch in motion, eat a quick salad and select a Dayspring Christian sympathy card, and got going. The dogs in the front yard were quite noisy at my approach, running up to the chainlink fence, but as I suspected, they weren't at all unfriendly, just doing their job. Like our two labs who love charging up to our front gate, they were showing that they know what's up!

We visited quietly, and I asked her what her loved one was like. The circumstances of his death were out of character, to say the least. We had some common acquaintances, since I grew up in the Inland Empire, and mutual friends know my youngest son from King High football and bodybuilding.

Her best friend came over, and we had lots to talk about Vacation Bible School plans, crochet, and the home Bible study I'll be teaching starting June 10th. (Two more fans of 1st and 2nd Samuel!) Just knowing the Lord as Savior and trusting Him in all circumstances, gives believers so much in common. Our mutual faith allows us to sit together and love one another without self-consciousness or awkwardness, if that makes sense. Jesus said, John 15:17, "These things I command you, that you love one another." And we even get help with that from the Holy Spirit!

As I stood up to leave, I mentioned that I'd be praying for the memorial service. It will be hard to mourn publicly, but the ceremony will provide closure for everyone, because reality will set in. She agreed, saying that's what she wants for everyone. What an example this young lady is to us all! It reminds me of the Apostle Paul's exhortation to a young pastor in I Timothy 4:12, "Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers."

May I be as calm and gracious as our young friend is in her hour of sorrow when my time comes!


No comments:

Post a Comment