Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Along the way


5:48 p.m. Today's project was to stop off at an Autozone on the way home from church and buy an air conditioner charging kit for the Jeep. I had already scheduled an appointment for my quarterly maintenance with Moss Motors, and found out that a complete A/C maintenance would bring my total to $150.00. That isn't unreasonable, considering what a great job they've always done with my car, but with the huge "August Party" coming up next Sunday at our home, I was a little iffy on spending that much. Heidi had suggested that her dad do it himself, and we thought, "why not?"
Before we left for church, Steve had found an A/C charging canister in the garage, but thought he might need to buy a hose in order to insert the freon gas into the receptacle. Like every other time I've driven my vehicle this week, it was one hot ride out to Moreno Valley Calvary, so I did my best to find a shady parking space.

We enjoyed a wonderful message and communion service. I even got to say hello to Carolyn Fitzpatrick, wife of former administrative pastor Jim, here for a brief visit. The ladies' room was abuzz with love, hugs and joyful laughter before the 9:45 service. In fact, a few of us were late getting into our seats! Well, I'll plead Psalm 133:1, "Behold how good and how pleasant it is for the brethren [and sistren] to dwell together in unity!"
The way home was by way of the Sunnymead Blvd. Autozone. On exiting the 60 freeway west, I spotted gas for $2.97/gallon, so I pulled in and had Steve fill up our tank. We then realized that he had not written down the kind of freon gas he had, information he'd need to tell the store personnel which kind of hose attachment to sell him. We went on home, but, at least we got cheap gas and hadn't driven out of our way!! So I made the best of the situation with Steve's Alzheimers forgetfulness like I try to do these days. "When life gives you lemons..." In fact, I actually made some fresh lemonade yesterday!
In life, we don't always achieve the goals we set out to accomplish, be they good, constructive, beneficial and even led by the Lord. The enemy Satan often frustrates our goals, as does mental or physical disability, lack of finances, or opposition from other people. Even the Apostle Paul met with opposition, and outright blockage of his ministry plans! Yet he speaks eloquently of witnessing to the palace guard as a prisoner in Philippians 1:12-13. In a number of his epistles, he speaks of being spitefully treated, beaten, and run out of town. Yet, we would do well to recognize that when the enemy blocks our reasonable and well-thought-out plans, even though we are frustrated, it may very well be that God has a better plan! Paul states to the church in Thessalonica in Chapter 1:18 of his first letter to them, "Therefore we wanted to come to you--even I, Paul, time and again--but Satan hindered us." (And God allowed it.)
In Acts 16:6-7, we see a different twist. Paul and his companions were traveling from the region of Galatia to witness in Asia, "but they were forbidden by the Holy Spirit to preach the word in Asia. After they had gone to Mysia, they tried to go into Bithnya, but the Spirit did not permit them." So the Holy Spirit can block our path if He chooses to. Turned out, God had a mighty work for the missionaries to do in Philippi instead of in Asia!
Steve and I found upon arriving home and inspecting the freon canister, that it was old, not purchased for the Jeep (which has always been serviced by the dealership) and a whole new kit was needed. He made a call to Autozone in Orangecrest, they had it, and the $54.36 price would be cheaper than getting it serviced at Moss. In addition, Heidi's rent check was on the counter, so we could go to the nearby Provodent Bank and deposit that, as well as get some groceries at Albertsons in the same parking lot. So at least our trip would be efficient! (I'm all about efficiency--never like to only take care of one thing when I go out!)
The best was yet to come. The complete air conditioning tuneup kit, including a "stop-leak" feature, was on sale for only $24.95! Yes!! Thank you, Lord!!
Don't you love the confidence we receive from II Corinthians 12:9? Concerning the "thorn in his flesh" that Paul suffered with, God told him,
" 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' " Therefore, Paul continues, "most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
May the power of Christ rest upon us today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment