Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lest we boast


5:53 p.m. Today's project was to pray for my daughter Heidi on the first day of achool with her new class of 3rd graders. I laid hands on her before she went out the door around 7 a.m., and prayed that the kids would be delightful. At that grade level, the students are used to being in school, most are reading, and they are little enough to love their teacher! I've taught 3rd many times, in Christian and public schools, along with all but one (1st) of the other elementary grades, and it was always my favorite. Last night she mentioned that hers are the advanced and early advanced English learners, so it wouldn't be a difficult group academically speaking. Quite a break from teaching the lowest-achieving and worst-behaving class of fifth graders at her last school in the Language! remedial reading class!

I taught that same remedial class for three years at another low-scoring school, and emerged battle-scarred and weary, but managed to teach my 6th graders about the Lord, taking advantage of the "Ancient World History" social studies curriculum. Houghton-Mifflin's textbook is outstanding, not only presenting the biblical figures Moses, David, Solomon, Jesus and Paul as historical figures, but quoting the Bible accurately! In fairness and professionalism, I also taught them the other major world religions as they presented themselves on civilization's stage. All believers should take to heart Paul's exhortation to Timothy: "Preach the Word! Be ready in season and out of season." (II Timothy 4:2)

But I've taken great pains to describe to Heidi the discipline issues that arose during those years in a gang-infested neighborhood with little parental assistance. Suspensions, expulsions, fights and disobedience were common. I'm actually grateful for the stressful days, because it is so much better for my daughter to know she can ask me about strategies that worked for me with the worst kids and classes, rather than for me to have floated decades of decent, docile students. So in an odd way, the troublemakers were a gift, a kind of "thorn in the flesh," as the apostle put it in 2 Corinthians 12:7, "lest I should be exalted above measure" and take credit for the ease I might have claimed in the profession. Success, yes. Ease, no!

My prayers were answered for Heidi-- her class is smart, adorable and well-behaved!

Sentimental thoughts of so many friends going back into the classrooom today are normal for me as I enter my second year of retirement. I forwarded to my teacher friends an hilarious email with illustrations of demented and goofy test answers from every grade level. Example: "Where was the American Declaration of Independence signed?" "On the bottom."

I was privileged to watch a very special teacher last night at Heart to Home, Regina Hernandez. A Calvary Chapel Christian High School art teacher, she generously gave of her time before the start of the new school year to teach women to paint a small landscape on canvas. They were doing a fine job, too, following the steps faithfully, but each with their own personal touch. They had a good teacher!

God expects us to follow the steps He has taught us to glean from His Word, as well as it is faithfully related to us by our pastors and teachers. Yet He allows for every conceivable personality to put our "touch" onto our steps of obdience, while being wholly committed to following Him. After all, He created each one of us. God knows us and loves us unreservedly. (Even unashamedly when we fall short!)

As a teacher, that's one lesson I want to make sure others learn--while I learn it myself!!



No comments:

Post a Comment