Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Landscapes


6:07 p.m. Today's project was to drive to Fresno to see our youngest son Steven. Considering that we left after 10:00, had to get gas at the Vons on Limonite near the 15 freeway, then deal with a heavy slowdown on the 5 north past the Grapevine, arriving at Steven's by 3:00 was pretty good time!

We ate in the car to save money, and stopped at the rest stop in Lebec. Steven kept texting, "Where are you?" which had me wondering, but it turned out that he needed to go food shopping for his every-3-hour eating schedule, and was out of food! His car is not running, either, so our presence--particularly our Jeep--was sorely needed.

We also had planned a walk-in appointment at the financial aid office at Fresno Pacific to secure his new loans. So when his dad and I pulled up at the apartment, Steve took the cooler and the Aerobed upstairs, and Steven and I went to the university. We had a good visit while we waited, sharing scripture and anecdotes, including how to pay for the huge traffic ticket he owes, and the repairs his Jeep needs. Then we found out we had a huge set of paperwork hoops to jump through, and made plans to work on the FAFSA tonight!
Did I mention that school starts Monday? Kids! So our plans to meet friends at Shaver Lake are probably on hold. Ecclesiastes 3:1 says, "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven."
We did have a good plan for this evening, however. Steven wanted us to meet his friend Angela, whom he met at FPU. She hales from Porterville, out in farm country, and moved to Fresno with her brother to attend college. In order to keep a light and friendly vibe, rather than sit around in an awkward "getting to know you" mode, we went to the Dog House Grill, home of Fresno's most famous tri-tip sandwich. Loud and busy, the Dog House is the quintessential college and family hangout, with at least four athletic events going simultaneously on big screen tvs. It's the "official" Fresno state team diner as well.
We talked about our hometowns, our garden produce, and my favorite kind of avocados--Bacon. I hope she'll bring me one if she gets a chance, since produce stands are all over Porterville. My goal had been to share the Lord with Angela, especially since she's going into the army in a few days for a 4-year commitment. We'll speak again tomorrow afternoon when she comes back over. I enjoyed her sweet and cheerful personality, that's for sure.
I'll be praying for an opening to witness. I know she has been going to church with Steven. She'll be taking a small Gideons New Testament with her to her posting in Oklahoma. I need to remember that I didn't know the Lord at 21 either!
I Timothy 1:15-17 says (NLT):
This is a trustworthy saying and everyone should accept it: "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners"--and I am the worst of them all. But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life. All honor and glory to God forever and ever! He is the eternal King, the unseen one who never dies; he alone is God.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment