Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Summer's last study


5:58 p.m. Today's project was to drive Steve over to Redlands to trim trees at my father's house. Getting up by 6 a.m., having our normal devotions, and hitting the road by 8:30 wouldn't have been a problem except that I got very little rest due to sleep difficulties, more like sleep terrors, Steve was having. I'm not sure the episodes are caused by Alzheimers or exacerbated by the disease, but it made for a difficult morning. Thank you, Lord, for large mugs of coffee!
I dropped Steve off and headed back home, via Clarke's Nutrition in Loma Linda to pick up some PS [incredibly long name], a supplement that makes quite a difference in Steve's demeanor and reasoning. I am hoping that resuming PS will bring positive results. I also picked up a cherry-lime 0 sugar, 0 calorie energy drink, because I was fading fast. Of course, I sat for twenty minutes on the 215/91/60 flyover bridge on the way back home in a massive traffic jam, so it was quite a morning! Yet, on this sunny day, I remember that "This is the day that the LORD has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24) Ah, on to my nap!!

My choices for the afternoon, after depositing book money from his grandpa into Steven's bank account, getting my husband a haircut, were to can some Roma tomatoes or work on my I Samuel Chapter 13 study for Thursday. I sat down to the writing, spurred on by the fact that it's the last one for the summer, with a potluck fellowship next Thursday. What a blessed summer! We have had a well-attended women's study, written lessons done in person by 15-20 gals, and 63 women did the studies online!

A group of 63 women makes quite a leap from the five of us who began together in the book of Colossians 5 summers ago at Barb McConaghy's house! God truly gave the increase as His Word, prayer, and konoinia have exemplified our gatherings and lifted His Name high. I'm praying as to providing childcare next year...

One reason I need to bring the study to a halt is a major writing project, my Galatians study now in the editing phase. It's simply too much to set aside blocks of time for writing lessons to teach and give thorough attention to corrections needed back to my editor by September 15th. I am also keeping in mind that I retired to care for Steve, who, to this point, is still fairly independent. But I'd like to have a few more "open" days like I did earlier in the year, to enjoy one another's company.

We also have an engagement party on September 11th, and wedding tasks for my daughter Heidi will begin to mount up. And I want to be a helpful mother-of-the-bride, ready for any errand or responsibility. My excitement is building weekly for Heidi and Pavel's wedding, and I don't want a stressed, harried bride with no "mom-support" in my home or on my conscience!
Amazingly, I actually finished the writing of the study this afternoon, to God be the glory! Normally it's finished on Wednesday. When the Lord tells you to move on, He expects you to move on, and helps your feet to get moving! More confirmation came by email--my editor Brianna had sent me my book with corrections ready for me to work on right away!!
Isn't it wonderful how the Lord, "who declares the end from the beginning," (Isaiah 46:10 ) is always on to the next thing? Time for me to take a deep breath and "move on!!"
P.S. The lovely view of the dome of the Library of Congress came from a CitizensUnited commemorative calendar. "Lord, teach me to number my days, that I may apply a heart of wisdom." (Psalm 90:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment