Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What measure are we using?


3:07 p.m. Today's project was to host a friend for lunch here at home, have some relaxing fellowship and get to know one another better. In addition to being a recent widow, she has also suffered physically from three strokes, the removal of 14 vertebrae, and paralysis caused by caused by blood clots in her spinal column.


She really enjoyed strolling through the garden, while looking out for bees, which I am also very allergic to. I picked a bag of assorted vegetables for her, and we enjoyed the mild temperature and sun for a few minutes. Of course, Jada and Bailey found the visitor --or her dog's scent--just amazing, and did leave a paw print or two on her shorts. Steve was out in the yard and ran over to call them off while my hands were full of produce. I wiped off the dusty marks with a wet paper towel when we went back inside. But never a complaint, only smiles and laughter did she offer. A perfect guest for us, that's for sure!

The two of us walked outside to view our long-running water leak , still trickling away from the City's sprinklers next to our property. The code compliance lady was supposed to be here today, but so far, she has not arrived. We also are awaiting word from our auto mechanic on the arrival of a radiator for the Jeep, but the two his supplier received today and yesterday apparently looked fishy, so we may be looking at a replacement time later in the week, possibly Saturday. "He makes all things beautiful in His time, " Ecclesiastes 3:11 says, so I'll just go with His timing on these matters. If I don't have a choice, why fuss? Just rearrange and rearrange again!
We then had a big lunch, with a hamburger for her with all the trimmings, and chicken breast salad for me, homemade pickles, salsa and chips, and two of our frozen desserts from the August party on Sunday. She told me about her difficult childhood, particularly about a stepmother who looked out for a neighbor's financial wellbeing rather than get treatment for her daughter's shoulder after a car accident caused a severe whiplash. After decades, no chiropractor can release that seized-up joint. In fact, my friend is in constant pain. When it becomes agonizing, she seeks therapeutical massage, which I too have found beneficial for my relatively minor complaints.
I think that perspective is what all of us need here. My friend had not one word of condemnation about her upbringing, or the medical issues she has had, just quietly related the facts. And with that attitude, she always blesses me, and is loved by her many friends in the community, receiving much help through her grieving time and the inevitable transitions she has to undergo. I am inspired by her, and again, able to put my difficulties, which are considerable, in perpsective nevertheless.
I reflected that her attitude was very much in contrast with one that came to mind early this morning during my journalling time. I was praying for an individual whose approach to events and circumstances is negative, has a cold demeanor, and offers criticism over the very slightest thing. They then report on a regular basis that they don't fit in and are left out and snubbed. I was prayerfully writing that they would be met with friendly faces in their work setting, that God would be merciful. I'm not sure just how He will answer that prayer, however, because
He then gave me this verse, Jesus' statement in Matthew 7:2,
With what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.
A painful truth to hear, but a truth nevertheless!
And that's the Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment