Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Appreciating the unseen


7:55 p.m. Today's project was to bask in worship and fellowship with God's people, anticipating excellent teaching in the Book of Jude by our pastor. How I needed the Word taught this morning, even if we were late getting there!

Steve and I were late today because of my sleep-deprived poor judgment--that's two nights of broken sleep in a row. My son Kriss in Long Beach mentioned that he's also had a very un-restful week, but no offense, sleep deprivation at 28 is a lot more recoverable than at 59! Steve had not put on his C-pap last night, and when I awoke to the commotion, we had to put it on. When you have a lot of worries--not imagined, but very real--getting up at 1:30 to address a problem is the last thing needed. Pray as I did to return to sleep, and for wisdom with the issues at hand, falling back asleep was very hard. I even made sure to "remind" the Lord that David said in the Psalms, "I will both lie down in peace and sleep, for You alone, Lord, make me dwell safely." and "Lo, You give Your beloved sleep." Of course my new theme verse Proverbs 24:10 came to me as well: "If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small." Lord, give me strength--YOUR strength! was my prayer before I dropped off.

One of my concerns was how to recover enough energy to drive down to Chula Vista to see and support our son. Yet here I sit at a desk in a Motel 6 eating a delicious chicken salad from Vons deli in Murrieta, Steve is on his second sandwich, washing it down with Coke Zero. Our dessert will be their Candy Apple salad. Tomorrow's breakfast comes from our fridge at home and the garden: cantaloupe, cereal, lunch meat, and cheese. But as of the middle of last night, we had no money for the motel, no gas money, and certainly no food money!

What on earth happened? Nothing! But God in heaven heard my cries and acted in His child's behalf!

Stacy, a friend I actually came to know on Facebook and in the blogosphere before we met formally in person (we'd seen each other at Bible study), has an inspiring blog called, "Courage Does not Always Roar," on this blog's reading list. Yesterday she posted II Corinthians 4:16-18:

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

God was working invisibly the entire time I fretted and mentally "tried on" a variety of solutions, some of which may have worked. But only God could have been responsible for causing everyone I came into contact with to flow smoothly with His intentions for His kid!

Our trials are not over, and I'll try again tonight to get some sleep, but I'm trusting in the Invisible God who does all things well!

No comments:

Post a Comment