Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Good Citizens Part 2


4:19 p.m. Today's project was to pursue application to the City of Riverside for the rate reduction available to disabled utility customers for equipment they use that boosts electricity or water consumption. I spoke to a very helpful lady at customer service who mailed it last week, and took the paperwork to Steve's neurologist's office an hour ago.


I first got wind of this opportunity from a friend on Facebook who has had household utility rates reduced by their provider for her husband's C-pap. Thanks, Cindy! The Body of Christ is very well represented among the 439 friends I've been blessed with, and we all pray for and look after one another. (We pray for and look out for our friends who haven't yet met Christ, also!) This online "community" exemplifies Galatians 6:2, "Bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ," and further on, v. 9-10, "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith."

Having just received a call from Dr. Rai's office clerk that their part of the form has been filled out and signed, I am admitting right here that I did not believe this neurologist was the right one for Steve, did not seem to care, and his manner and mine were at total odds, one appointment ending in tears and loud voices. (The doctor's and mine). My opinion has changed as the ice has thawed! He was very assertive in ordering Steve's sleep apnea test and the equipment that allows him to breathe and not die during the night. His offfice assistants have always been kind and very efficient. Now that egos and emotions are under control, I am very grateful for Dr. Rai's knowledge and help! Maybe one day I'll have an opening to share the Lord with him, now that I have some credibility as a person with composure!

With the Riverside City Utilities form I'm going to mail in, I am now benefitting from the other side of the citizen-city relationship! [Yesterday, I wrote about our adversarial position--who has to fix their leaky sprinkler? (with all due respect, it's not us!)] I am remembering again Romans 13:1b, "the authorities that exist are appointed by God." Verse 6 of the passage states, "For because of this [keeping order] you also pay taxes, for they are God's ministers attending continually to this very thing. "

With the disability rate reduction, the local governing authorities are doing a very big amount of good! And when our rates are reduced, by little or by much, I'll be thanking them profusely!!

No comments:

Post a Comment