Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

Blessed relief!


3:38 p.m. Today's project was to go to the chiropractor! I was awakened around 5 in the morning by severe pain in my right shoulder, worse than it's been since the accident 3 weeks ago. The painkiller I had taken before bed had suddenly worn off, I would say! Dr. Pena's adjustments are doing fine getting my bones back into place, but this was a particularly bad muscle ache. A few clicks and pops got things back in order, and I went on my way rejoicing! I also scheduled a deep tissue massage for next week from one of the professional therapists on staff.

I confess that I just may have spent too many hours on the couch in my family room last night, (even though it's fairly new and firm). I was watching the tivo'd Project Runway from last week, and then the new episode, with my darling daughter Heather, having pampered her with a chili from scratch atop her chili dog. Our homegrown canned tomatoes and the kidney beans she contributed made it just right! Poor Heather, though, because even having a mind-bogglingly sweet (JK ! ) mom to coddle her can't make up for the fact that her grad student husband Nick not only works full time, but goes to school 5 nights a week. Must confess that Steve and I take full advantage of her need for company! Before they know it, though, Nick will be out of school, and these overtaxing times will be behind them! I love the picture I posted, which heather captioned "This is Love!" (A play on their last name).

Do you think about the times in life when events, duties, commitments, pressing issues and even ministry opportunities seem to swing like a pendulum? From nothing to do (of any interest, anyway!) to way too much to keep track of, too many phone calls to make and faxes to send, get-togethers to get ready for, urgent needs disrupting and consuming precious "couple time?" Or where did my "alone" time go, for that matter?

Where is the balance? Psalm 139:14 says, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well." Amen, Lord! Our bones and spine need to be in balance, or we get an all-too-definite reminder to pray and seek care! So do the spiritual, emotional, social and business aspects of our lives need to be balanced.

I ask myself repeatedly as the hours follow each morning's devotional time, "What needs to be done?" Unplanned events and issues pop up almost daily, along with the tiresome details of putting out the accompanying fires. Next, "What fun activity can Steve and I do as a couple?" After all, we are retirees, and even if it's not by choice, it's by God's will! I believe we are called to make the best of our lives no matter where we find ourselves. We both enjoy errands and projects, so I prioritize those opportunities, laying the groundwork for them to go smoothly. "What's needed to keep healthy, and in my case, pain-free?" I can walk with Steve and the dogs, regularly visit the chiropractor for the next few weeks, AND NOT EAT JUNK! "What will the meal plan be?" Very important, and easy to get lazy about. Until I made up that chili last night, I hadn't cooked dinner from scratch for a few days! And I love to cook!! Again, planning, not being caught with a hungry husband and daughter, and actually prepared for guests, is a reasonable standard for this homemaker!

It's a bit of down time now, with Heidi and Pavel relaxing on the couch, and Steve grtating cheese for some nachos. Baby Steven and I had a crazy texting exchange about his stinky 5 pairs of athletic shoes--"Can I put them in the washer?" Not leather!!! I advised air freshener spray for an emergency fix...

We have serious issues to confront, but tomorrow's another day for the Lord to set the solutions in motion. I'm ready now to relax and find the balance a little family time provides!


No comments:

Post a Comment