Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Shoulders back!

3:20 p.m. Today's project was to get a deep tissue therapeutic massage from celebrated massage therapist Kim Ramirez at Dr. Pena's chiropractic office. Steve and I had our usual morning of Bible study, prayer and devotions, scrambled eggs with "extras" and he had tomato jam on his toast. My plans put a spring in my step as I got ready!

Looking forward to a treat, er, treatment, just spurs us on, doesn't it? I certainly made sure to be at the office on time. As the two of us greeted one another, I knew I'd be in hands with a very firm grip! Kim began with prayer, a beautiful call to God for His Hands to relieve my pain, His will to be done, and His anointing to be on her own hands. Even though our fellowship flowed, mentioning lots of friends in common from Harvest and Calvary MoVal, the treatment wasn't always smooth. My upper neck and shoulder muscles were severely stiff and resistant. Kim's probing fingers hit many a sore spot, but finally the muscles released their hold and relaxed. A more soothing massage followed, and my upper spine is no longer smashed down--I now have a neck!

Kim did give some warnings: keep your shoulders back, so that you don't put yourself into an almost stooped, forward-leaning posture, as if I had scoliosis. Wow--my posture, which I thought was generally decent, isn't! That's why my shoulders ache while out walking with Steve and the dogs! More advice: vary your activities, getting up after a time writing on the computer, or reading, cooking, cleaning, crafting, or gardening--they all call for looking downward at least part of the time. That will be a challenge, since that list just about wraps up my day, from morning till night!

Since the Lord allowed me to listen to Kim's wisdom today, I'd best act on it and modify my activities! If I trulyappreciate the way the Lord allowed my tight, stubborn muscles to be shifted into a comfortable, relaxed mode, I'd better do the follow-up to benefit as much as possible. Improvements in my posture and movements can be made, and will be made!

An old dog can learn new tricks, like the determination not to be crippled with arthritis like my late mom that led me to seek natural healing with MSM and Hydraluronic Acid (HA). These two supplements eliminated the piercing joint pain that woke me in the middle of the night so bad that Steve had to massage my legs. Using the discipline necessary to eliminate favorite foods and ease my celiac disease is not easy either, but I believe that if we have the "want to" the will must follow! Our ability to think, learn and act in a rational manner is a gift from God--not to be dismissed, neglected, or used sporadically.

Is God trying to get your attention today? Maybe the pain is not something you instigated--after all, I was rear-ended while sitting in my Jeep at a stop sign! Maybe your pain is emotional, nothing you could have caused, any more than I caused my own back and neck injuries. Don't sit helplessly, thinking that you have been set aside and just have to "live with it!" Maybe your bad consequences are reversible, no matter how long-lived. The only way to find out is to prayerfully ask the Lord to guide you to seek wise counsel based on Scripture, listen to that wise counsel and DO THE FOLLOW-UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment