Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Rejuvenation


3:32 p.m. Today's project was to take Steve to our primary care doctor for his periodic checkup. Turns out we were a "work-in " appointment, so we both read the books we'd brought for about an hour and a half. I made good use of my time, however, by getting the phone number of the Health Imaging Group to schedule Steve's upcoming MRI for Monday. His last MRI was in 2007, and his brain hadn't shown any areas of plaque (typical of Alzheimer's) even though his memory was worsening severely, impacting his ability to work. Now that two years have gone by, I wonder what we'll see? No sense worrying about it, because the mighty God we serve has known every aspect of Steve's life since before he was even conceived by his mom! "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you."(Jeremiah 1:5) Dr. Guzman gave us prescriptions for some medications that might help lessen anxiety and reduce inflammation--not as a cure, certainly, but ones that might chip away at some of the ill effects Alzheimer's has on Steve.

The staff also gave me the phone number of the surgeon who had removed my cancer almost 6 years ago, because the life insurance underwriters could not find it. One thing I would note to anyone else considering retirement--you may find yourself without life insurance, if your employer covered you, while you're busy arranging for your health coverage! As a former life insurance agent, I've been a firm believer--and purchaser--of life insurance including for our children. Now at 58, even with a clean bill of health, this will be an expensive undertaking.

So I am torn-- should I spend the money? Or better spend it setting up a living trust for the property and belongings? Scripture doesn't mention life insurance, although the Proverbs are full of directives to plan wisely, and Jesus also speaks of stewardship. Oh well, until Select Quote gets back to me, it's a moot point!

At the grocery store, Steve and I picked up two large "buy one, get one free" packs of chicken fajitas, already cut into chunks with the veggies, ready to grill. So I texted Heidi to have early dinner before church, and was so excited to find that she and Pavel were planning to come over to carve pumpkins this afternoon! That news was like the fresh, cool breezes we've had outdoors today, considering the life-and-death-and disease issues I'd been pondering. Whoopee!
I also invited my younger daughter Heather and her husband to join us, but my little Mrs. Nick Love is really sick, she texted back. She asked me to take her to the doctor tomorrow, so we'll see what's going on, poor baby!
Looks like I won't be making it to Weight Loss Challenge today--what a shame, since I know I've gained some with those coffeecakes! I'll just pay $5 for missing the meeting--the amount of pounds I'd have to pay for anyway! Better luck next week, huh? (Or better effort!)
Having my daughters around me, whether for fun or sickness, rejuevenates me, because like all believing moms, I hope to be like the virtuous woman in Proverbs 31: "Her children rise up and call her blessed."






No comments:

Post a Comment