Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Weigh-in/way out

2:05 p.m. Today's project was to take a friend from church to the county hospital for a lengthy test. Not one to get burned twice by that no-parking lot, I even called to ask her to have pockets available for her necessary cards in case it took me a while to find a space after I dropped her off! I'm not sure whether or not that was a bit presumptuous, but I am sure about the tough time I had last week. She volunteered to bring her handicapped sticker in case we could use it. Score!

Things go so much better when I commit them to the Lord in prayer! I am a firm believer in praying with all the facts available, so this time, no longer ignorant of the crowds out there, I asked the Lord to help us, and He did. We didn't even need the sticker, and I found a space shortly after dropping Pam off. The far opposite end of the visitor parking section was ideal, today especially, because I could use the walk. Even had on my tennies. After all, Wednesday is our weight loss challenge (WLC) meeting, and I cannot stand to pay $1.00 for every pound gained...even went walking with Steve and furry friends later in heavy clothes --how much could I sweat off???

At Mimi's, we shared testimonies, and I realized that she had attended the tent at Calvary Costa Mesa while in high school, just like my husband Steve had. She had been spared much grief and foolishness by getting saved at a young age. Not so with me, having lived "out loud" as an unbeliever for 28 years, made tons of grievous mistakes, already with a dreadful marriage behind me!

A divorced single mom, I was brought up short suddenly by the Lord at Crenshaw Christian Center on Jauary 6, 1980, after hearing the "Romans Road" (the steps to salvation) laid out methodically and vigorously by television preacher Fred Price. I knew that being born again was what I needed, and after a perceptive usher said to me, "Don't let Satan rob you!" I walked right up to join the huge altar call. I've always wondered at the bright light I saw around me--a visible sign, high emotions, or tv lighting? No matter, I got saved, joined Calvary Chapel Riverside, and never looked back!

Almost 30 years later, I am excited to be a Christian every day! I still "live out loud," but with abundant energy fueled by the Holy Spirit--and the Holy Bible. A believer's life is adventurous, even in details that might be dull or painful. I've found that all things fit together beautifully into God's plan for us and others in our sphere of influence. Our hearts have been shifted to being in the right place, even when we blow it. There's no place for pride when I consider what Christ went through for me, and what He has done for me. There's no place for self-pity when the Holy Spirit assures me that He's always there. There's no place for ignorance when the Word of God is available to all. If I get up and put one foot in front of the other in obedience, I'll be rewarded by watching His work, His righteous work!

If believers are "way out" of the mainstream, so what? What did we expect when we turned our backs on the world's system? Certainly not approbation! Jesus said in John 16:33, "In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

So testify, friends! "Live out loud!"

No comments:

Post a Comment