Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

It takes a family

1:33 p.m. Today's project is to get packed, organized, everything set and my husband well taken care of, so I can leave in about 30 minutes for a business meeting. I'll be spending one night at the Kona Kai Hotel for the "San Diego Splash."

Weeks of planning have gone into this, not so much for the pointers I expect to learn from other consultants and directors, or the fun I'll be having while learning to make my Mary Kay business more profitable. That's a given. My focus has been that this is my first overnight trip since Steve's disability became more severe. A challenge, indeed!

There's an old saying, "Man proposes, but God disposes," and how true that is. Proverbs 16:33 says, "The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD." I know that God is in control of this weekend. On the other hand, we have all heard, "Fail to plan--plan to fail," and Jesus Himself speaks of kings carefully planning for war in Luke 14:31. So I have made plans for my daughter and son-in-law to spend the night with Steve, and take him to church Saturday morning for the all day live-streaming Calvary Chapel Men's Conference at our church, complete with fajita lunch.

A friend who has come alongside Steve, Bob Snyder, will be picking him up tonight to go to a custom car show at Jason's Deli, and over for a bite to eat before returning Steve home. So even though Steve doesn't recall any of this information, despite my posting it on the kitchen table and taping it to the inside of the front door, my helpers will keep our plans going.

I thank God for my physical family, always there for us when possible, but as a Christian, I praise Him just as much at times, for my family of brothers and sisters in Christ! I cannot begin to tell you the prayer and social support we receive, which is just overwhelming. Our friends and pastors make Steve feel that he still fits in, keeping him comfortable during awkward pauses in his sentences, maybe filling in the blanks patiently and tactfully. I love them so much, it's not easy to express.

So many friends and acquaintances, like the gals at Upper Echelon hair salon, former teaching colleagues, and my weight loss buddies lend cheer and moral support along the way, enough to strengthen me and keep an upbeat, busy atmosphere here at home. Some are believers, and some aren't believers just yet! My sharing will one day bear fruit, just in God's timing.

I pray that our transparency about Steve's Alzheimer's will enable precious unsaved friends to see Jesus Christ through our joyous struggle!

No comments:

Post a Comment