Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fresh Fall Air


3:02 p.m. Today's project was to track down an insurance agent and a policy he sold us in August, but which we never received, despite the company having cashed our check. As a former life insurance agent, my concern was that in persuading us to switch policies for a lower rate and equal coverage, the agent would get a fatter "first" commission, but there didn't seem to be any downside for us, so we went ahead. Steve aced his medical exam a few days later.
As I spoke with the customer service lady, I recalled the agent's name, and she said that the policy was still in underwriting. She gave me the agent's contact number, which did not work!Game on!
On my second call, after I furnished appropriate identification, the next customer service lady admitted that the company was in a standstill with our policy also, because they had not heard from the agent either! Mystery: this agent sold policies for both the company whose policy he wanted us to drop, and the one we had recently bought, so...would we end up with no coverage? Her advice was to check with the first company, and then cancel our new policy and get a refund. Sounds good, I think!

God has such a good sense of humor, and it came into play at about that time. Steve had been doing the Mike MacIntosh Horizon online Bible study while overhearing my frustration, and he said, "Look at this!" He pointed to Isaiah 63:5 (NIV) : "I looked, but there was no one to help, I was appalled that no one gave support; so my own arm worked salvation for me, and my own wrath sustained me." !! While we certainly can't guide our lives by verses taken out of context, we roared at the aptness of scripture at a time when comic relief was surely needed!
This afternoon, I rediscovered what a walk in the brisk fall air can do to energize and revitalize me as I traveled about a mile behind the Canyon Crest Towne Center. Positive thoughts of calories burned before my Weight Loss Challenge meeting didn't hurt, either!
I've begun my fall decorating, with my parents' old china serving dish, my dried "mother of the groom" corsage and my sons' boutonnieres dressing up my dining room table. Plans to bake a batch of chocolate chip pumpkin muffins are not far behind! (Check out Kay Ellen Hammar's recipe on my Facebook profile).
My brunch dish is assembled and ready to bake foe Bible study tomorrow, our hostess's gift is wrapped, and overall, today God's calm and peace reigned. Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment