Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Civic minded



4:13 p.m. Today's project was to carry out my assignment as Key Hostess at a spectacular home on the 58th Annual Panhellenic ("all Greek") Home Tour. I have been a member of this philanthropical organization of former sorority women since 1993, and enjoy our single focus as volunteers: raising money for merit-based college scholarships for high school senior girls.
My shift was from 11:15 to 2:30, but the day began at 5:30 a.m., so that Steve and I could have our daily devotions and prayer, breakfast, and plenty of time to get Steve to the Saturday morning men's Bible study at Calvary Chapel Moreno Valley by 8:00. Now that I do the driving, there'll be no sleeping in for me if Steve is to attend his study. I hadn't slept well, but as soon as I got into God's word, I was particularly joyful when the Lord led me to the scripture to post on Facebook, Psalm 2:7,8: "The LORD has said to Me, 'You are My Son, Today I have begotten You. Ask of me and I will give You the nations for Your inheritance and the ends of the earth for Your possession." The Father speaking to the Son, and the Holy Spirit writing it down through David the psalmist. And thousands of years later, you and I are privileged to eavesdrop on the conversation!
Steve went into His Bible study and I drove across the freeway to Super Walmart (that's what they call the ones with groceries, right?). I needed to text my daughter Heather about a big "Shabby Chic" used kids' clothing sale at a Riverside church I heard about on KSGN, since she and her friends were out thrift shopping this morning. I picked up bananas, apples and feta cheese. Very good prices, with a helper even coming over to me at the self checkout to make sure I got the 50 cent discount on the Galas. It was still only 8:18, an hour left to wait, so I parked back at church and began reading the book of Hebrews, my favorite, if choosing were even possible. I love the way the writer, whom I believe to be the Apostle Paul, spares no words in making sure we know exactly who Jesus is.
I am praying about teaching Romans (Heidi's suggestion) or Hebrews next summer and praying even bigger about writing a new Bible study for the women to use each week! They enjoyed this summer's Galatians lessons, written over 20 years ago, and reformatted into Word a few years ago.The study on the Gospel of Mark has been updated for a while now; I and II Samuel are in progress, being edited by a sweet young lady named Esther Balos down at Calvary Costa Mesa. I'm holding off on Mark, because our church is studying it on Sunday nights the next two years at Home Fellowships.
With raising young children at home, the Lord had me write those Bible studies, type them up and teach them each week, my writing sometimes no more than two weeks ahead of the ladies! Good times, hectic times, fun times, blessed times!
At home full time again now, I wonder, "Is it time to write another Bible study?" I retired to be home with Steve, but he is doing better now that I'm here to lend structure to his day.He keeps himself busy with projects, so I have the time. The concept of having a number of months to write a study intrigues and thrills me. But I must give these thoughts to the Lord, for the Holy Spirit to sift through and direct! All these ideas were swirling in my head as I read Hebrews and waited for Steve.
After Steve's study ended, we went on the Panhellenic Pre-tour, available to those of us working a shift at any of the homes. The only stop we had time for was the amazing Guthrie home over on Lochmoor, replete with pieces of art from Africa, Spain, and China, a "vanishing edge" swimming pool, and a 360 degree view overlooking Sycamore Canyon--you could even see our house from there! I always appreciate the gracious homeowners who open their houses to the public one day a year for a worthy cause. And Panhellenic has a 58-year track record of running an outstanding tour.
Shea, who rooms with us, and I got dressed up and drove over to the Jacobs home in plenty of time to get a decent parking space and for me to get my hostesses situated at their posts. The mediterranean style home is so massive that the traffic pattern I was given was confusing, and it took about the first 45 minutes, and the dear Pre-tour key hostess staying a bit late, to ribbon off a few more areas and keep the patrons from walking into each other and all following the same route!
All went well, at Shea's location near the kitchen and mine at the front porch, and the second shift arrived, mercifully, as the weather was getting really toasty. On the drive home through the elegant neighborhood, Shea asked me about charity work, something I was raised to do--to "give back," as my parents put it, not just living to enjoy whatever success you may achieve. Our home was not an evangelical Christian one, but very civic-minded, with me eventually serving 3 terms in elected office in my forties. What I think I am most grateful to the Lord about, however, is that both of my parents came to know Christ as their Savior shortly after I got saved in 1980.
Christians, though we are "not of this world," do live in it daily, and we need to have an active, positive effect on our communities to open doors for witnessing. Galatians 6:9-10 tells us,"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith."

No comments:

Post a Comment