Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Joy of Fellowship




3:44 p.m. Today's project was to bake a brunch dish for our last Bible study, our koinonia, fellowship centered in Christ. The layered bread, sausage, cheese milk and egg dish I planned is filling and looks pretty. Added plus: it keeps well, assembled in the fridge overnight! I toyed with the idea of running down to the chiropractor's for a quick adjustment during his 9-10 Thursday office hours, but could not coordinate the needed baking time with the necessity of getting back through traffic and being packed up, ready to go when Charlotte was due to arrive, 9:30. "Don't add any more layers of tasks! Not today, with Bible study going on," I had to tell myself--and stop myself, literally.

I don't know whether past generations of women were as tempted as we are to "do it all," but schedule-stuffing has been a real tendency of mine for as long as I can remember. In high school, I was in both orchestra and choir, belonged to least three clubs, joined the University of Redlands Community Symphony and the cast of two Gilbert and Sullivan musicals, while taking both private voice and violin lessons! Naturally, my social life could not be allowed to suffer, either. More of the same later at UCLA, plus the new world of part-time work and frat and sorority parties! Bumped into myself coming and going--running in 6 inch platform heels and mini-skirts was the norm. Was hyperactivity invented back in the late 60's-70's? Perhaps I should have been medicated...

Back to the future, 2009, and a lovely morning with my sisters in Jesus. Everyone brought a lunch or breakfast dish, and we just had great fellowship with the Lord Christ in the midst. Our hostess received some nice thank you gifts, and we stayed an hour later than usual, enjoying ourselves tremendously. We may set up a Christian fiction book exchange; we will all be attending the Bible study at church, Monday night or Tuesday morning.

After checking in with Steve, I gathered up a few treats from our brunch to take to Pamela, who just had a double mastectomy and has been blessed with tremendous amounts of both help and visitors. She was in great spirits, enjoying barbequed chicken pizza with Thalia. Pam's apartment was spanking clean, because Thalia is a professional housecleaner, using her skill for the Lord. I just love our Calvary Chapel women! Later, Pam and I sat and had a good conversation, realizing that I need her prayers for our situation and much as she needs mine. The Lord is so good, showing His love through us to others!




No comments:

Post a Comment